Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My sis's frugal wedding (Not exactly a holiday but...)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    The average wedding costs $30k!?!?!
    Yup. Here's some interesting stats:

http://nypost.com/2015/06/06/price-o...re-than-30000/

And if you want to see exactly where the 30k goes:

http://www.costofwedding.com/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yup. Here's some interesting stats:

http://nypost.com/2015/06/06/price-o...re-than-30000/

And if you want to see exactly where the 30k goes:

http://www.costofwedding.com/
    When I got married back in 2006, my then partner and I simply eloped. We went to the courthouse, got hitched, and flew to Europe for a "honeymoon."

Twas nice!

But if I ever get married again there ain't no darned way I am spending $30k on a wedding. That is insane!

Our son married a year ago - I have no idea what it cost. They had 20 people for a dinner at an Italian restaurant the night before the wedding, outdoor wedding in a DC park, lunch immediately afterward. Very sweet. We gave them $5,000 which may or may not have covered all expenses but that is what we were comfortable with.

Our daughter just got engaged. She is completely freaking out about guest lists, invitations, dress, etc. We will give them the same amount of money - anything they don't spend is theirs. Honey, please scale it back!!!!

When my oldest got married we contributed $3,000. Her parents did some & they did the rest. I think they spent about $10,000 all together.

I just find the whole concept so strange. We, as a general population, don't expect to drive around in Lamborghinis. We don't expect to eat at The French Laundry, we don't expect to wear De La Renta originals. Frankly, I'm amazed if I can get an internet page to load in less than 20 seconds, because that level of luxury isn't mainstream here. So how come there is this expectation among people of very ordinary means that a catered party with a photographer, a videographer, a florist, a band, three or four pre-events and a $12,000 dress, a party that costs more than a year's take home pay, is a realistic standard for normal people?

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    I just find the whole concept so strange. We, as a general population, don't expect to drive around in Lamborghinis. We don't expect to eat at The French Laundry, we don't expect to wear De La Renta originals. Frankly, I'm amazed if I can get an internet page to load in less than 20 seconds, because that level of luxury isn't mainstream here. So how come there is this expectation among people of very ordinary means that a party that costs more than a year's take home pay is a realistic standard?
    Some pretty remarkable marketing yes? And it happened in 1- 2 generations. When my peers got married, they had a cake and punch reception in the church basement.

When my oldest got married we contributed $3,000. Her parents did some & they did the rest. I think they spent about $10,000 all together. I forgot to mention that they had 2 weddings-1 here & 1 in Poland. WE paid for the one here. Got married in a park, reception at our house with a big tent , rented tables/chairs, dishes, etc so could be a sit down dinner. Had a well stocked bar and catered some of the food & we cooked some. I made the centerpieces the table, bought the flowers, her dress all on sale. The one in Poland was $10,000 because in that country the weddings are 2 full days with 60 people, food coming every 2 hours, band & dee jay the whole time, every type of liquor you could want, beautiful venue, etc. Since their currency is a third of ours it is like spending $30k here. The tradition dates back to when they were a communist country & short of food etc so weddings were the one time to celebrate bleak lives. Since the country as a whole & the people are not rich it does not sound like the best plan to me. However, we went & it was a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Some pretty remarkable marketing yes? And it happened in 1- 2 generations. When my peers got married, they had a cake and punch reception in the church basement.
    Yep. My parents got married in 1960. Mom had a white 3/4 length dress, a normal pretty white dress with sleeves and a little lace, she didn't look like she was trying out for the lead in Cinderella, they did get married in a church, and then they had a nice party in my aunt's lovely old house and yard. People showed off their cameras by taking some photos. If it cost a month's salary I'd be surprised, and this was perfectly acceptable as middle-upper middle class practice.

Yes my mom sewed her own wedding dress, her father married them (was an ordained minister), they were married at my grandparents house, a nice old house and a good sized house, but not a mansion.
    Trees don't grow on money

My wife and I were married by an Alaskan Marriage Commissioner with two witnesses in attendance, followed by drinks at the Captain Cook bar at the local Holiday Inn. Total cost, approximately $30.

She says she'd like to renew our vows someday and this time do it up right. Me, I'm not so sure it's worth the effort. That $30 has provided 39 years of bliss, can an expensive wedding do better?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information