Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where is your food from and do you care?

Country of origin stuff, I have wondered about that too - when I buy say, colored peppers, they are invariably from Canada, Mexico, or Holland. Though they are relatively cheap, why aren't they from the U.S.? When I think of all the waste involved in the transport of these cheap peppers, it really others me. But to be honest, the money issue always takes precedence for me. I try not to worry too much about it, but I do not buy organic, even though I work at Wholefoods and get a discount, I cannot afford, or choose not to, organic produce. Yet I do buy my meat there. Food from China creeps me out.

Fake Honey from China, that is really weird. We had a Fed Investigation here in our area two years ago involving this.

Non food related but still strange to me, I have been looking at a cutting board at the grocery store for months. Entire lovley display of wood products that appear hand made with the State of MI and the USA design. This week I was ready to buy, I flip over the state of MI cutting board...made in China. No purchase.
    yes. I have been unable to find a decent new garlic press that isn't from China, therefore I don't need a garlic press, I can just keep dicing them with a knife like I've done for eternity (mind you if an old thrifted one from the U.S. or something showed up some day ... or if I found a good new one not from China). Sure a garlic press has some advantages over chopping, don't care. I mean I wanted one, but don't under those conditions. What if they shipped everything from China, a gigantic mountain of stuff for sale, and nobody came? (with electronics there is no choice but with a garlic press I can choose to use a knife)

As for the food question, I care and I try, but I think I already answered a thread like this recently (because I know everyone is terribly interested in my exact shopping habits ... or government agencies are anyway ). But it's really a very complex heuristic of habits, too complex to detail. I get the new Zealand lamb sometimes, is that horrible? It's so hard to be a saint in the city ....
    Trees don't grow on money

Because we can grow so many things locally here in southern Ontario, I can usually store up enough to eat mostly local except for the salads which I buy in the colder months and fruits.

TxZen
    I do care but it's so dang hard here. We have 1 grocery chain, so you are stuck with what they have. We have a farmer's market, but it is small and not always organic but it's local, so that trumps the store. I could drive to Whole Foods, but I have to make it worth my time for the drive.

I have found eating more whole, organic means less packaging and I am noticing where my food comes from on the labels. And I do use my reusable bags.

Thread Information