Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting over?

I'm so very sorry. That is a huge violation and it will take time to get over it and feel safe in your house. The same happened to us years ago. We were at a family funeral. I came home to find the door taken off the hinges and the dog had been beaten and was cowering in the corner. What wasn't taken was destroyed.
    We replaced the basics but never the big ticket items. Never missed them really. Checked pawn shops for years but nothing ever surfaced.

TxZen
    Thanks all. This morning, I went and bought a new yoga mat and some props. It's actually been really nice not having to clean so much and keep it simple. I also purchased 2 black t shirts and a pair of white shorts and another pair of Reef sandals (My favorite!!!), all on sale.

It really is the strangest place to be in and how to deal with it. It is so hard to process it all.

Simplemind- I am sorry about your dog. That makes my heart hurt.

How horrible for you (and you too, Simplemind

I'm impressed at your positive response; I think a situation like that would be extremely traumatic. You have some awesome coping skills!

TxZen
    " You have some awesome coping skills!"

You haven't met my family...lol..I learned coping skills young.

Wow! We have had a car stolen (and used to commit another robbery) and one of our houses broken into. When our house was broken into, although they trashed the place dumping out everything and rummaging through the house looking for valuables, there was no deliberate vandalism. Your situation is totally disgusting---it's sad there are people in this world who would do those things. What I do remember, though, is that feeling of being violated and unsafe. We moved shortly afterward, as well.

I am so sorry that you are having to deal with all this. In addition to the emotional reaction, it takes a lot of time and work just to deal with everything. On the plus side, it has accelerated your time frame for getting away from that neighborhood and crazy neighbors. I'm glad you are escaping and I'm confident you will finally breathe easier and relax more once you've relocated. Best wishes to you and your family.

I am so sorry. What a horrible experience.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

TxZen
    They think this group is the former workers who built the first section of neighborhood. There was some bad blood between the builders and the workers and they think they have been targeting this neighborhood. A BRAND new house, just finished, ready to put on the market, was trashed. They took equipment, ripped up new sod in some other places. etc. This is quite the investigation going on with all of this.

I just feel so violated....

You're the person with the horrid neighbors, aren't you? Is this the same house or somewhere new? How awful, either way.

OMG--how horrible! I'm so sorry, and so glad you all are safe. The violence with which this was done is unbelievably appalling. You must have been absolutely traumatized! Thank God you weren't home.

Sounds like you've been able to process this over the past few weeks and are now able to be a bit philosophical about the benefits of being forced to start from scratch, so that's good. I would say, do whatever else needs to be done to enable you to feel safe.

Anyway, I'm sure there is the flip side to involuntarily losing everything, which would be the opportunity to taste the freedom that comes from fewer possessions. I'm sure if I were in your position, after going through the grief and shock, yes, I would take advantage of being able to test "enough" in your life. Starting over can be a real adventure in self-exploration!

Keep us posted on your progress (and your setbacks) as you move through this! My mother lost everything through illness and a fire, but it was too late for her to exercise much choice in how she lived the rest of her life. So, I think it was Victor Frankl who said that when everything has been taken away from us, we still have the ability to choose our attitude. Looks like you've chosen a good one, TxZen!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

TxZen
    Yes, I am the one with the wacko neighbors. I think it's something in the water.

I have to stay positive. I have a small child and so much more in life to be grateful for. I just want to be able to move yesterday but everything is a process.

Thread Information