Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Living a remarkable and/or simple life...

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    A lot of people score as introverts on those personality tests (though I don't think it's really an either/or thing, more of a spectrum.)
    Lone wolves have overcome their innate shyness and are able to interact socially quite well, but understand their nature. They carefully choose where to put their social energy, and are content with being solitary. This contrasts with the normal view of introverts as being awkward and fearful of other people. Loners use their natural talent for seclusion and privacy as a strength, not a weakness.
    I'm very much an introvert. I can mingle at will, but most of the time I don't want to. (Hey--I was a Pi Phi! Where's that rolling on the floor emoji when you need it?) I'm dismayed that people believe introverts are "awkward and fearful." That hasn't been my experience at all.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    I was just thinking I am totally fine with having no funeral service. I am not that big of a deal! haha

When I die I mostly just want someone to take care of my dog.
    In my experience, a funeral or memorial service is not for the decedent but is for the living, to share their memories of the dead.

When my mother was dying, she made it clear that she didn't care if we buried or cremated her remains ("Surprise me!" she said), but she knew that my dad would want a place to visit, so she asked that we take that into account. She was remarkable.

I know I probably shouldn't do this, but when I see that so many of my old friends from college have gone on to do interesting or important things, I can't help feel... I dunno, not jealous so much, but maybe that I am either lazy or not especially clever or talented or something. haha

But on the other hand I do feel kind of proud of them:

-One friend opened up a successful BnB/art gallery/studio
    -Another friend opened a successful brewery
    -A different friend is a big time photographer
    -One of my good friends from college became a big union boss at SEIU
    -Numerous friends went on to work in renewable energy or higher education or the non-profit sector in positions that are quite interesting and noteworthy
    -Yet another friend became a really good immigration lawyer down in Texas

I could go on and on.

The strange thing is that during college, I was their leader. Now they have gone way, way beyond me.

They chose the stressful life.... you have not would be my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    They chose the stressful life.... you have not would be my take on it.
    That is a dang good point!

I don't think that the traditional definitions of success necessarily coincide with with a happy life or one well lived. There are tons of everyday heroes that are probably unremarkable to most who might meet them. People who care for sick relatives or friends, or overcome personal obstacles and handicaps, or volunteer for things that matter to them, parenting good kids, or maybe just live a life that is true to their beliefs even though they are different from the mainstream. I know a lot of "successful" people who are unhappy, have substance abuse issues, or are unhealthy from just plain working too hard and not living a well rounded lifestyle.
    Last edited by Rogar; 10-31-15 at 8:20pm.

rodeosweetheart
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    There are tons of everyday heroes that are probably unremarkable to most who might meet them. People who care for sick relatives or friends, or overcome personal obstacles and handicaps, or volunteer for things that matter to them, parenting good kids, or maybe just live a life that is true to their beliefs even though they are different from the mainstream.
    So true!!!

Thread Information