Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Vista64bit on PC. Is it time for a new computer

Using Vista64bit on PC. Is it time for a new computer

I have an HP Pavillion desktop PC that has Vista 64 bit. It works fine, but I have been told by a very thrifty man I won't be able to keep doing things with it due to the old Operating System.

My question is- do I need to replace it? Should I wait until it dies? (that's been my plan and I do a back up of documents - sending to a flash drive if that counts as back up- and photos every few months)

Thanks.

The problem with old versions of operating systems (Windows, OS X, whatever) is not that they quit working catastrophically. It's that the manufacturer cuts support for security fixes and bug repairs. As time goes by, you will find more hardware and software that is not updated for Vista or flat out doesn't work anymore and more virus/malware/adware vectors which cannot be stopped by the software you have.

Vista is now four versions old (Windows 10 > Windows 8.x > Windows 7 > Vista). Microsoft itself quit supporting it as of April 10, 2012 (three years ago).

I would not be running in the Windows world without security fixes or the latest versions of applications like Microsoft Office or Adobe Flash (if you use it). You might want to look at possibly upgrading to Windows 10 or buying a new PC that runs it. It's probably the cheapest way to update. And you shoud update, sooner than later.
    Last edited by SteveinMN; 9-19-15 at 9:39pm. Reason: added Vista end of support date
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Microsoft is ending support for Windows Vista (several years ago) as part of an effort to push users to upgrade .... The company will no longer offer free technical support for customers running Vista, nor will they honor warranty claims for the five-year-old operating system, but it will provide basic support.

Customers will continue to receive critical security updates, and will have the option of paying for support through April 11, 2017. After this point customers will be out of luck, and Microsoft will finally put Windows Vista out of its (and our collective) misery.
    I think you can keep it until April 2017 then. You could always have someone (a geek or a computer repair place) install a new Operating System on your old computer (Windows 7 would be best, but that's hard to find. Many people don't like Windows 8 but Windows 8 is the easiest Operating System software to find and it will also be what automatically comes with most brand new PCs as well). There is a conversation now (iOS9 thread) on electronic waste and planned obsolescence. Here's my thoughts: yes a lot of people would say buy a new computer but that is electronic waste and planned obsolescence, so I say: DON'T! Install a new operating system instead or have someone else do this for you (the geeks on this board will say Linux, I'd say if your are used to Windows it might be easier to just upgrade to a new version of Windows, but if you've always wanted to switch to Linux then do that).

[ETA: Ok maybe the latest version is Windows 10 now I didn't buy a computer last month or something]
    Trees don't grow on money

What things have you been told you won't be able to do?
    Mainstream support has already ended for Vista (ended in 2012), extended support goes until 2017. Windows 7 loses mainstream support in January of next year. Not 100% sure what the difference is, but my guess, is normal updates is mainstream, and urgent security updates is extended.

Found it:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/lifepolicy

Another option that at least two of us use here, is to convert the computer to a Linux machine to get extended life out of it, while learning something different.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Another option that at least two of us use here, is to convert the computer to a Linux machine to get extended life out of it, while learning something different.
    What he/she said! There are lots of free Linux distributions which will work wonderfully for you while emulating, or even improving upon Windows.

I switch back and forth between Linux and Windows, running a dual boot configuration of Linux and Windows 10 on my primary laptop. Unless you're having hardware problems, I'd just upgrade your current machine to one of those operating systems.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

So I could upgrade to Linux or does it have to be a Microsoft? I have Norton through Comcast, but does that not work? I use my computer for writing, and the internet. No gaming, no streaming, no complicated things, but I have noticed some sites or some info that is sent to me via email I have use the tablet we have which is Samsung Galaxy 10. I have no idea how to run a dual boot configuration. Would the Linux have the same type of word processing?

Then, if I buy a new tower will my HPW1907 monitor and the printer hp laser jet and the canon scanner work with it? Or are the systems too advanced now? I am thinking a lap top might be the best bet, just hate to get rid of something that is still working for what I do. Thank you all for the input. It's given me more to think about....next I'll ask about upgrading my Trac phone to one that takes pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    So I could upgrade to Linux or does it have to be a Microsoft? I have Norton through Comcast, but does that not work? I use my computer for writing, and the internet. No gaming, no streaming, no complicated things, but I have noticed some sites or some info that is sent to me via email I have use the tablet we have which is Samsung Galaxy 10. I have no idea how to run a dual boot configuration. Would the Linux have the same type of word processing?
    PCs running Linux can do pretty much everything that PCs running Windows or Macintosh OS X can do. They may not have all the same programs or accessories available, but there are equivalent applications for just about anything you'd want to do. I'm a little puzzled that there are file formats or URLs which have to be opened on an Android tablet rather than a PC, but I'm sure I'm missing something there.

But based on the kinds of questions you're asking, nswef, I'm not sure you're a good candidate for moving to Linux unless there is someone nearby who can help you with it. If there is, full speed ahead! Otherwise, though, and especially if you can't devote some time to learning about the differences, I think you're in for some unnecessary frustration.

Then, if I buy a new tower will my HPW1907 monitor and the printer hp laser jet and the canon scanner work with it? Or are the systems too advanced now? I am thinking a lap top might be the best bet, just hate to get rid of something that is still working for what I do.
    Depends on how old they are and how they connect to your existing PC. The good news is that there are adapters available to change just about any connection, though some of them are not cheap and almost all of them are no substitute for a plain ol' cable between the two devices. The bad news is that the software that lets the PC talk to the printer/scanner/whatever sometimes is not updated for newer operating systems. The printer I had before our current printer was just fine (we hardly print at all) and the connection was no problem at all. But it was so old that neither current Windows or Mac OS computers could talk to it so it was no longer useful to us.

next I'll ask about upgrading my Trac phone to one that takes pictures.
    Bring it on! I'm sure we can help with that.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I'd have to agree that Linux may not be your most satisfying choice. If the only problem you have with the old computer is an outdated operating system, I'd vote for replacing Vista with Windows 10 if your machine meets the minimum requirements for the new OS. Microsoft recommends a 1 GHz or faster processor and 1 Gigabyte of RAM for a 32 bit system, 2 Gigabytes for a 64 bit system.

You can get more information on switching at the Microsoft Store
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

If the only problem you have with the old computer is an outdated operating system, I'd vote for replacing Vista with Windows 10
    I agree, talk to a computer repair place to see if someone could install Windows 10 for you, unless you know someone geeky who can help. Installing an Operating System oneself is more stuff computer geeks will recommend, just get help if you need it.

I've actually had the job role before of translating the geek speak into human speak
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'd have to agree that Linux may not be your most satisfying choice. If the only problem you have with the old computer is an outdated operating system, I'd vote for replacing Vista with Windows 10 if your machine meets the minimum requirements for the new OS. Microsoft recommends a 1 GHz or faster processor and 1 Gigabyte of RAM for a 32 bit system, 2 Gigabytes for a 64 bit system.

You can get more information on switching at the Microsoft Store
    Allen, would you really recommend Windows 10, or would you recommend (since it is still readily available) 8.1 with something like ClassicShell? (where she could make it still look like Vista)
    Also, might check both systems requirements, as the machine may meet one better then another.

I get the feeling that the reason some URL's open on one machine over another, is some plugin that isn't installed (or updated for the old OS), over the other.
    Installing Linux, is NOT an UPGRADE in the way they are probably used to. Us that use it, consider it an upgrade because of the features verses the problems, not the way it installs. Linux can be used via a USB stick and I did that for years on one machine (never booted to Windows on it, shrunk the partitions and made a home directory on the computer). Personally, I would rather see them save their money towards a new machine and think of using this one as the learning machine, or printer server if the current Windows didn't support her printer. (take this computer off the internet link, but not the intranet/internal network)
    On a display computer, they might be able to use it for a few minutes to see if their printer model is supported directly from Windows now.
    Also the recommendation to see if there is a local Linux users group is a good one. (find out what they generally recommend for newbies), and their is Distrowatch to see a lot of distro's (think Mint is currently still number 1). Also watching Youtube on Linux, can help answer some questions and provide visual (try before installing, or using a bootable USB stick).

PS, and Allen....
    He.
    I try to keep things general, as I have some trust and people safety responsibilities.

Thread Information