Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using Vista64bit on PC. Is it time for a new computer

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Allen, would you really recommend Windows 10, or would you recommend (since it is still readily available) 8.1 with something like ClassicShell? (where she could make it still look like Vista)
    Also, might check both systems requirements, as the machine may meet one better then another.
    Yes, I'd recommend anyone skip 8.1 altogether unless they just happened to have a copy laying around, and then I'd only install it in order to then qualify for the free upgrade to 10. For anyone who doesn't know, every Windows 7 and 8.1 user with a valid license is eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10. Unfortunately, Vista does not qualify.

It's hard to give advice on subjects such as this in an anonymous environment because you never have a good feel for the OP's comfort level and expertise. If a person likes to tinker and learn, I'd recommend Linux on an older machine. If they just want something that works reliably and doesn't have a steep learning curve, I'd recommend they upgrade to the newest version of their current operating system if their machine will support it, and if it doesn't, replace the machine.

The cheapest option is to convert the old machine to Linux (free), followed by upgrading to the newest Windows at a cost of something over $100, and finally, replacing the entire machine at a cost of somewhere between 3 and 10 times the cost of a Windows upgrade. Only the OP knows which option best suits their combination of need and abilities.

Installing Linux, is NOT an UPGRADE in the way they are probably used to. Us that use it, consider it an upgrade because of the features verses the problems, not the way it installs. Linux can be used via a USB stick and I did that for years on one machine
    This is something I think a lot of people may not know. If they are curious and would like to try any of the various Linux distributions, most can be successfully run from a USB stick or DVD without actually installing it on their machines. Just boot their machine from the specific media, load the operating system into memory and explore. If they don't like it, re-boot from the hard drive and they're right back where they started. That's how I tested a dozen or so of the newest Linux flavors before settling on Mint as my go-to Linux distro.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Whew! Thanks for all the ideas. I've been looking at an all in one, but might see if I can upgrade. I'm not sure if the 2009 computer I have meets the system requirements. I will chen ck the microsoft site. The linux system, does it have security updates? I am under the impression that is the problem with vista now. I shop and bank on line so want to take care of the security stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    The linux system, does it have security updates? I am under the impression that is the problem with vista now. I shop and bank on line so want to take care of the security stuff.
    Linux is inherently secure against viruses and malware and all the variants I've explored over the last several years perform daily checks for updated security releases to all included components.

If you're seriously considering this option and would like the most Windows like experience, I'd recommend looking at Ubuntu or one of it's variants listed below:

Distribution Description
    Edubuntu A complete Linux based operating system targeted for primary and secondary education. It is freely available with community based support. The Edubuntu community is built on the ideas enshrined in the Edubuntu Manifesto: that software, especially for education, should be available free of charge and that software tools should be usable by people in their local language and despite any disabilities.[54]
    Kubuntu An official derivative of Ubuntu Linux using KDE instead of the GNOME or Unity interfaces used by default in Ubuntu.[55]
    Ubuntu GNOME An official Ubuntu variant[56] that uses Gnome Shell as its default desktop and GDM as its display manager.[57]
    Ubuntu MATE An official derivative of Ubuntu using MATE, a desktop environment forked from the now-defunct GNOME 2 code base, with an emphasis on the desktop metaphor.[58]
    Lubuntu Lubuntu is a project that is an official derivative of the Ubuntu operating system that is "lighter, less resource hungry and more energy-efficient", using the LXDE desktop environment.[59][60][61]
    Xubuntu An official derivative of Ubuntu using Xfce. Xubuntu is intended for use on less-powerful computers or those who seek a highly efficient desktop environment on faster systems, and uses mostly GTK+ applications.[62]
    Mythbuntu Based on Ubuntu and MythTV, providing applications for recording TV and acting as a media center.[63]
    Ubuntu for Android Designed for use with Android phones.[64]
    UbuntuKylin An official derivative aimed at the Chinese market.
    Ubuntu Server An official derivative made for use in servers. Ubuntu Server handles mail, controls printers, acts as a fileserver, can host LAMP and more.[65]
    Ubuntu Studio Based on Ubuntu, providing open-source applications for multimedia creation aimed at the audio, video and graphic editors.[66]
    Ubuntu Touch Designed for use with touchscreen devices.
    Ubuntu TV Designed for use with TVs.[67]

Or one of the third party distributions based upon Ubuntu such as Linux Mint
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I've been using Ubuntu for years (I'm posting from it). It's easy to install and maintain, but I do computers for my work so my opinion may be a bit slanted.

Thread Information