Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I "downsize" my old friend...?

Welp... I got a phone call about 10:15am today. I thought it was my girlfriend calling.

Nope.

It was the old friend...

Sometimes I wish I had caller ID.

Anyway, he was acting sort of drunk. But swears he has not drank since the whole fiasco with his health started. I basically just told him what he wanted to hear. He kept downplaying his alcoholism by saying things like: "I am strong enough to deal with it or not deal with it myself" and "I just like to party."

drunk at 10 am? I feel bad for his kids. Can you give him your cell number instead then you will know it's him?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Sometimes I wish I had caller ID.

Anyway, he was acting sort of drunk. But swears he has not drank since the whole fiasco with his health started. I basically just told him what he wanted to hear. He kept downplaying his alcoholism by saying things like: "I am strong enough to deal with it or not deal with it myself" and "I just like to party."
    When my brother calls me drunk I just tell him that I love him but I'm too busy to talk. By now he knows that's code for "call me when you're sober."

I'm not a telephone talker to begin with and I'm definitely not inclined to torture myself listening to the narcissistic ramblings of a drunk.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Don't tell him what he wants to hear. That just shows him your fine with it. You would be better off if he was ticked off by your opinions and didn't want to talk to you.

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    drunk at 10 am? I feel bad for his kids. Can you give him your cell number instead then you will know it's him?
    He does not have kids. No viable sperm. Apparently profound alcoholism ruins one's swimmers. Seriously.

I don't have a cell phone, just an old home phone.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    When my brother calls me drunk I just tell him that I love him but I'm too busy to talk. By now he knows that's code for "call me when you're sober."

I'm not a telephone talker to begin with and I'm definitely not inclined to torture myself listening to the narcissistic ramblings of a drunk.
    I might do that. I am also just going to stop answering the phone and let it go to the answering machine.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Don't tell him what he wants to hear. That just shows him your fine with it. You would be better off if he was ticked off by your opinions and didn't want to talk to you.
    That is an interesting point. My dad straight-up told him: "Get into some kind of treatment for your alcoholism!"

Maybe I will do the same. That might turn him off from wanting to talk to me.

The dude, after some months or more is back on the bottle. And big time!

Here apparently got drunk, drunk his car off the road, tore up a front tire, cracked a window, and then went home and called the sheriff while he was still sitting in his car hammered with empty 4 Loco cans in the back seat. He said someone had vandalized his car!

The deputy came out and somehow his brother came over and talked the deputy away. So no report filed.

His family tried an intervention yesterday and took away his car keys and his guns. He freaked out majorly -- so they gave him his guns back.

It is too bad he did not get to suffer the consequences of his actions with the law. Giving his guns back was a horrible idea. Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    It is too bad he did not get to suffer the consequences of his actions with the law. Giving his guns back was a horrible idea. Ugh!
    In the small town area we're from the cops are no real good. They pulled his drunk butt over another time but only gave him a speeding ticket. He was drunk as a skunk though. He played high school football with the cops, so they did not want to DUI him. He was a corrections officer for about 8 years too, so they did not want one of their own getting a DUI.

Thread Information