Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another compost question...

Another compost question...

Our compost is coming along nicely in the compost tumblers. We oped up a seedless watermelon the other day and it was bad. Can I put this in the compost even though it has some white and some brownish small seeds. I think our compost works on a different method so it does not get really hot where it would kill the seeds. What do you think?

Thanks,

Chris

I think it would be fine. I wouldn't worry about the seeds. They probably aren't even viable.

Thanks Cathy...

You're welcome Tussiemussies! I occasionally have plants pop up that came from various seeds in the compost pile. (I don't think mine has ever heated up). They usually pop up where I haven't planted that kind of plant, so I know to just pull it out. And sometimes....I just let them grow.

As you get to the end of compost "season" using a compost tumbler, you may want to stop placing new compost in it and allow it to complete the cycle so you can dump the entire contents of the tumbler for fall. It takes about 4-6 weeks to finish a load of compost (depending on what you have in it, how large the pieces are, and what the mix of brown/green is). It takes a lot of internal heat to break down the material to compost. You shouldn't be adding any new material when you are ready to finish a load. When it's "done", the volume in the tumbler will drop by about 50%, the color will turn to a dark brown or black color (be sure to break up any large clumps), and it will have an earthy (wet mulch) smell when it is done.

You don't want to leave a load of wet compost in your tumbler if you have temperatures that drop to freezing and lower or it might cause the tumbler to crack with freezing and thawing.

I dump the compost tumbler by the time the leaves start to fall from trees. We fill the tumbler with crushed dried leaves and leave them over the winter to be used as the "brown" ingredient and usually add the first mowing to the tumbler to get it started in the spring. The balance of green and brown should be at least a 50/50 mixture.

It also helps to make sure the things you are composting are chopped into small bits the later it is in the season you are adding them. You can quickly pulse those tough rinds in a food processor, and I also like to break down egg shells in an old blender with a little water added. You need heat to break down compost, so once the temperatures get cooler, it's time to put the compost tumbler away for the season.

You should screen the compost to remove any whole seeds that didn't break down.

So what happens with kitchen waste during the winter? It just can't be composted? I never knew that.

I guess I'm lucky because we don't live close to anyone, but we just dump our kitchen waste on our compost pile out by the garden. There are usually a lot of leaves out there from the Fall, so we either cover it with leaves, or just let it lay on top of the pile.
    Even if you don't have a composter, I encourage you to still collect your kitchen waste somewhere outside......maybe even in a sealed garbage can.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    So what happens with kitchen waste during the winter? It just can't be composted? I never knew that.
    I think it can be composted. In fact, we do it. It seems wasteful to me to stop recycling kitchen waste just because it's below freezing (which it is for a good chunk of the year here). We draw down our compost bin (stack, not a tumbler) and then fill it over the winter with scraps. It stays largely frozen (not always, because thermal radiation and our very strong sun can make enclosed spaces surprisingly warm) and thaws in the spring. The challenge, though, is finding enough browns because leaves and dead plants are not available. So we will toss in newspaper pages, compostable food containers (after use), some dead leaves we keep in the garage for just this purpose, etc. It has worked for us.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thanks for all the replies and help. Lessisbest, thank you for the information. We just put in the watermelon, which tends to break down fast due to the water content. Do you think we should take it out? We don't have our garden set up yet. I will dump the compost into a pile on the lawn. Should I cover it with something? I plan to use it next summer in a garden we will be creating next year.

Cathy A that is neat that sometimes you get a stray plant in your garden!

[QUOTE=Tussiemussies;215192]Thanks for all the replies and help. Lessisbest, thank you for the information. We just put in the watermelon, which tends to break down fast due to the water content. Do you think we should take it out? We don't have our garden set up yet. I will dump the compost into a pile on the lawn. Should I cover it with something? I plan to use it next summer in a garden we will be creating next year.
    QUOTE]

When you dump the contents at the end of the season will be soon enough to take out any material that hasn't broken down. That's why it's important to screen the decomposed material. If it can't get hot inside the compost, it won't decompose (outdoors). You can hold finished compost in 5-gallon buckets with lids to use in the spring.

For anyone who wants to compost during cold weather, you might consider having a worm farm indoors. I, for one, don't have an open composter because I don't want to have a "buffet" for wild life (you'll have a new appreciation for the back end of a skunk eating those orange rinds when you go to toss some scraps). We will dump the compost in our Garden Tower (http://www.gardentowerproject.com/) when it gets a little colder and move the worms to an indoor unit. Here's a how-to: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...9CCCF28CF166F7

Thread Information