Thread: ? for Lessisbest

? for Lessisbest

Hi again,

Have a question for you. Although I have never done sprouts, I would like to try it if it didn't seem so daunting.

Do you make Ezekial muffins/breads from your sprouts. In have been reading Dr. Mercola on Facebook and he claims that whole wheat causes inflammation in the body...

We buy the Ezekial but it is expensive...do you also know of a sprouting book that makes the process easy?

Thank you...

1. Sprouting isn't difficult, it's just time consuming. One of the best resources for information, how-to videos, and "tools" of the trade is:
    The Sprout People - https://sproutpeople.org/ The one food safety task I incorporate when sprouting, that you generally don't find in popular resources, is to use acidified water (1 t. citric acid in 1 qt. water) for soaking and rinsing sprouts to retard spoilage by bacterial growth. These are relatively new guidelines.

2. I've had any number of sprouters - starting with a canning jar, but my favorite is the Easy Sprout Sprouter. Check on-line for sources for best price (often at Amazon.com, but the Sprout People also carry it and show how to use it).

3. I'm living proof that wheat causes inflammation in the body, having had arthritis since I was 13-years old (almost 63 now), chronic tennis elbow, carpal tunnel, and plantar fasciitis, which all but stopped when I went gluten-free nearly 3-years ago.

4. There are any number of recipes for the grain/seed/bean mixtures known as "Ezekiel Bread". Some use milled flour while others use sprouted seeds. As an experienced bread maker who has taught classes on the subject, as well as milled my own flour from a large assortment of grains/seeds/beans and taught classes on milling, you are money and time ahead to purchase Sprouted Ezekiel Bread. It is very labor intensive.

5. I sprout many of our day-to-day food items like almonds, pecans, walnuts, pepitas.... I sprout most of the beans we consume to make them easier to digest. I sprout lentils, which can be used as-is, or dehydrated once they have been sprouted. Check out the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and Mary G. Enig, Ph.D. for more information.

Editing to add....
    Wheatgrass is grown from first sprouting the grain then "planting" the sprouted grain seeds in a medium (soil is often used, but I use "baby blanket" which is available from The Sprout People). If you harvest the wheatgrass for juicing before it is 9-10 inches tall, it is gluten-free. I can only grow wheatgrass during the cooler months. Once the house is 70°F or warmer, the wheatgrass tends to mold. But that's also the time we have fresh food from the garden, so juicing wheatgrass isn't a primary source for fresh food in the months when we have fresh garden produce. I also sprout seeds to grow micro-greens, and once again, they are part of our cold season "fresh food" grown indoors.

Think of sprouting as a garden-in-a-jar. Seeds for sprouting are part of the "Seven Survival Foods" because we can't be healthy without fresh foods high in all-important enzymes.

Thank you so much Lessisbest for taking out the time to thoroughly answer my question. I am going to save your post....I guess Ezekial will be our go to now and I will try the sprouting at a later time!

Thread Information