Thread: helping a friend

helping a friend

I have a friend who is terribly ill. So my friends and I, who are vegan, got together and did a big cook fest to put in his freezer. Now this might be old hat to some of you, but new to me.

It felt so good. My friend is a gluten free vegan, so many people don't know what to cook, we did.

We made 30 individual dinners:

Lentil soup
    Chili
    Pasta Sauce
    Butternut coconut soup

He was so happy, but not as happy as I was to spend the day with my good friends, helping out someone in the community.

Very nice. How kind of you and you friends. You really need practical help from people in times of illness or injury.

Somehow this has been lost in our fast-paced society. Growing up, the Church Women were a well-organized machine who took this kind of project on all the time. I remember a chart in the church kitchen for the church family who needed some meals (births, deaths, sickness...).

BTW - Your friend will also need fresh food for the all-important enzymes in order to heal quickly. A nice selection of fresh garden produce, cut melon, raw lacto-fermented applesauce, and nutrient-rich fresh sprouts would also be a welcome addition. If they have had any kind of surgery, they will require large amounts of protein in order to heal. Simple things like protein-rich homemade bars (like KIND bars or granola bars), that can be easily consumed as snacks to increase their protein intake would also be "good eats". Homemade almond and coconut milk can be used for protein shakes/smoothies with Hemp Protein Powder and fresh fruit. You can use the almond and coconut pulp leftover from making the dairy-free milks to make raw cookies and breads in the dehydrator.

I am in awe of people who can coordinate this type of thing, even for themselves

http://www.caringbridge.org/?t=1&s=t....google.com%2F

this site is helpful when there are large numbers of people helping. Hospice families really liked it

Caringbridge is WONDERFUL. Years ago when my friend was very sick and went into hospice, caringbridge let her family keep everyone in touch without having constant calls and interuptions in the very important and limited family time. The friends felt included and could send messages of support to my friend and her family. It was a total BLESSING. I dont know how I would have dealt with her being sick and dying without it.

Wow, I am impressed with the great thing you and your group did. Imagine the shopping, cooking and clean up that your friend did not have to do.

lessisbest - we are a pretty savvy group of vegans and I believe other friends are bringing fresh food. What we do best is cook, so that is what we are going to do.

While we were doing it we discussed the idea of doing this once a month for ourselves. We could cook for 2 - 3 hours, chat and then go home with 4 or 5 containers of a variety of foods. I certainly don't need to do this as I cook lots of food myself, but it was fun and a good way to try new things.

It was, in fact, really easy. I think we will do it for our friend again.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post

Caringbridge is WONDERFUL.
    It really is. I think it's time to do one for my mom. not having been on this side in a long time, I forgot about the constant phone calls and emails, a few of her older friends panic when she doesn't answer the phone, so they keep calling over and over and leaving frantic messages while we are in the middle of a task. I'm trying to keep all three of our calendars (I need to do this online but never seem to get around to it), so I literally have to go get everyone's calendar (because they add stuff to theirs but forget to tell me) when someone wants to visit. People want to help and caring bridge makes it easier to coordinate that. But most importantly is the journal updating. I could be on the phone for hours a day, explaining what's going on and then supporting them, they cry, they ask what they can do and I say nothing. When we really could use their help, I just don't know where to start. Plus, telling her story several times a day is exhausting, sad, I get confused so then they ask how I am and on and on and on. We love everyone but we are reaching the point we cannot update every single person every few days. So much easier to encourage them to read the journal.

You know, I'm setting this up tonight!

Such a great thing to do! I have done this type of thing my whole life. The people that are helped really do appreciate it.

Thread Information