Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: The Compact

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,704
    Should have posted the link description in the first post.
    Reminds me of a book I once read, about a woman's attempt to buy goods for one year, without buying anything made in China.
    Sounds interesting, but I would CLEARLY have a discussion with your girlfriend, if your still with her, since your two values seem so far apart, that IMHO you two should break up.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Gardenarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    4,255
    The Compact is new to me, but I did go for a year without buying any new clothes (including used clothing - I mostly shop thrift stores/yard sales.) It was surprisingly easy. I think I'll do it again soon.

    I actually enjoyed not having to think about buying clothes, though I usually enjoy the scavenger hunt of thrift shopping.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    10,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    The Compact is new to me, but I did go for a year without buying any new clothes (including used clothing - I mostly shop thrift stores/yard sales.) It was surprisingly easy. I think I'll do it again soon.

    I actually enjoyed not having to think about buying clothes...
    Very cool! Did it impact your purchasing habits in the long run?

  4. #14
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    10,025
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Should have posted the link description in the first post.
    Consider it done! I went back and added them.

  5. #15
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    9,808
    I think it's a great idea: and a great way to identify your "gazingus pins" as Joe/Vicki would say.

    I really don't think the clothing thing would be a big deal for me. This year was a big clothes buying year, which included 3 pairs of yoga pants (Old Navy had a sale and I wear yoga pants almost every day), three pairs of flats (It was a "buy two get one free deal) a new pair of sneakers (which I'm going to return or give away because they're uncomfortable), and also a pair of pants, blouse and blazer for work. That's a lot for me. I know that the purchases I made this year would get me through next year if I did the Compact.

    Now, books on Amazon is a whole other thing! And the random thing I might find at a yard sale or a art/craft fair.

    And what do they say about gifts? I could not go a year without buying gifts.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  6. #16
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    10,025
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I think it's a great idea: and a great way to identify your "gazingus pins" as Joe/Vicki would say.

    I really don't think the clothing thing would be a big deal for me. This year was a big clothes buying year, which included 3 pairs of yoga pants (Old Navy had a sale and I wear yoga pants almost every day), three pairs of flats (It was a "buy two get one free deal) a new pair of sneakers (which I'm going to return or give away because they're uncomfortable), and also a pair of pants, blouse and blazer for work. That's a lot for me. I know that the purchases I made this year would get me through next year if I did the Compact.

    Now, books on Amazon is a whole other thing! And the random thing I might find at a yard sale or a art/craft fair.

    And what do they say about gifts? I could not go a year without buying gifts.
    You could still buy stuff at a yard sale because the item is used. You can buy gifts, but not stuff, according to the rules. So you could buy a friend that Van Halen concert ticket or take someone to a movie, that sort of thing.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,377
    I'm not sure if your talking ebooks, but there are plenty of used physical books on Amazon. Now I'm not sure that these are really really much better than new books as they will still be packaged and shipped, but they aren't new so technically score! Really when I buy books and I do it is almost always a used book. No clothes new or used for a year would work fine ..... if I became a nudist probably. It's often already the case I postpone clothes shopping so long I'm wearing clothes with holes for a bit before I can get new ones.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  8. #18
    Senior Member kib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southeast Arizona
    Posts
    2,311
    I felt like the spirit of the exercise was to become aware of consumption and cut it drastically for a while, as well as the entertainment value of a challenge. I wasn't too impressed with people who found a way around learning anything by transferring their retail therapy to Used retail therapy. Part of the point of a self-audited challenge is to actually try to achieve the end goal, not to seek out loopholes.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    10,025
    Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    Part of the point of a self-audited challenge is to actually try to achieve the end goal, not to seek out loopholes.
    So true! And "self-audited challenge" is a great term. I will be borrowing it.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Gardenarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Very cool! Did it impact your purchasing habits in the long run?
    Oh yes! I am much more reluctant to add anything to my wardrobe these days. I did have to add some winter gear this year, as well as some hot weather clothing, as I moved from the mild climate of San Francisco to an area where temperatures vary widely. But I'm very picky.

    Because I couldn't buy anything new-to-me that year, it made me really examine my clothes and it has become easier for me to accept that sometimes mistakes will be made. When I find that I have something I'm not wearing, I'm much more willing to pitch it. I guess I discovered that sometimes having fewer choices can make life easier.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •