Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what loneliness makes you do

what loneliness makes you do

Da** it, I think I screwed up again. I have one long term staff person and I shared something with her, and I think I couldn't actually trust her. It is my second loose lip issue in the last 2 months, both are bad. I think this is causing even more problems with the toxic colleague issue I explained in the work section. But now I am super angry at myself for sharing what I shared, and of course angry at my staff. She said she does not even talk to the person in question anymore (they have been friends before). I was basically telling her to be very careful about being her friend, and she said she wasn't in contact. Then it seems the more I shared after that went back to his person.

I am examining the roots in myself of this, sitting at Starbucks, and trying not to cry. I have a lot of loneliness issues, I don't have a lot of people who want to talk about the same things, I really work at reaching out and then I get exhausted and overwhelmed so I don't get out, I don't have a partner person or best friend right now. So I get connection where I can, and then I share too much. I have spent the last couple years really closed off at work, I don't want to walk into a meeting and sit by myself and give off that unfriendly vibe anymore, but I apparently don't have good self control. Basically I am the one who goes to visit people in other rooms at work, I call other people to talk, I lead the meditation group and am the only one who comes even when they don't lead, If I get a phone call per week that is not initiated by me (that does not include student loans) that is good, no joke. I am the one who calls my mom, my kids, and my sister who has needed a lot of anxiety support over the last months. But as soon as she is better it is back to me calling. I feel like a needy jerk to keep being the one to call others, right now I REALLY don't want to call anyone and perpetuate the pattern. So after spending 6 hours in my office alone working, and then a staff I have trusted walks in, I am not always in a good place by then for keeping my mouth shut. I just want to talk to someone, anyone, at that point. Even when I go home I may exchange a few words with my son and his girlfriend but they have their own lives.

So I need to do the 'pay a friend' deal and get a counselor again.

Another thing to do is to try to find a useful 12 step program. I've been going to Al Anon and we exchange lists of phone numbers, so there would always be someone to call, which might be helpful.

How funny, I have often thought about joining a 12 step program even though I am not officially an addict. But I really wanted the connections that build up with the programs. I did however talk to my mom a little, even though I needed to make the call it was okay.

I counted up that there are about 4 people I call once a week to just say hi, 3-4 others I call at least once a month to just check in or say hi, if I don't get any answers or call back then I take them off the list and move to the 'as-needed' list. But still I am the one dialing out, so giving myself 20 minutes for the pity party and then moving on.

I like being able to share at meetings and know there is an expectation of anonymity. So does everyone else there. It feels like a safe place to talk.

I think many of us have more contact with co-workers than anyone else.

And I have certainly made the mistake of disclosing details to someone who did not keep it quiet.

May sound strange but forums like these are a source of comfort to me, the exchanging of ideas and opinions.

Investigate small groups in your area?

Been thinking doubt this friendship subject as it has come up in a few recent threads with different scenarios.

I have one friend who has made it her mission to reach out to certain people on a regular basis each week. A retired principal of a high school, she knows that quite a few people find it difficult to reach out. When we talked about this aspect of her life, she simply stated that she knew it was needed and hoped that when her turn of needing support, someone would help her. She can also be bossy and outspoken at times so has had some challenges as well.

Usually when I contact someone, they are so appreciative of the phone call or email as so few people do reach out. Not sure of all the reasons for this lack of reaching out.

I have come to conclusion that contacts and friendships are gifts that we give freely because these are loveable people in our lives. If they reciprocate, great; if not, it doesn't matter. It is my gift to them, with no strings, agenda or expectations attached. Over the years as I look back, the rewards have quite wonderful. When an unexpected need arises in my life, they come through with wonderful support that totally surprises me. People need people. I like and need people in my life and so reach out. I feel blessed with my friends.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Okay that makes me feel better, I know that the person I shared too much about has also done this to me. She was one of the people complaining about working camps with me earlier in the year. What is hard is being at one site where all your 'coworkers' are people who work for you,

I also find a lot of comfort in these forums, I am working on more small group stuff. 3 of my close people in my life have gotten really busy with other things so a major set back after a lot of work developing these friendships. But lots of things to do this weekend so I will be happily busy.

I too suffer from chronic loneliness, as I am sure you know. So in a sense, I feel your pain.

Try one of those support groups. They have them for drunkards, junkies, overe-eaters, and all sorts of other things.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Try one of those support groups. They have them for drunkards, junkies, overe-eaters, and all sorts of other things.
    I don't get vice based support groups unless one strongly has vices/addictions, otherwise one is either left out or trying desperate to portray things as worse than they are (wait, wait, I have an addiction too! I uh have dirty dishes in my sink!). Would be a bit much to develop an addiction just to have a group to go to ... life can be a struggle without having strong addictive behaviors.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    A couple random thoughts. Would you be interested in one of those programs where you visit a lonely elderly person on a regular basis? Also do you have a dog? When I did he was a great listening ear and sensed when I was down and would comfort me, and he never spread gossip. Sometimes I would cry into his fur when I was really sad and he would draw closer to me. But maybe you do not have time for either.

Thread Information