Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: October 2015 Frugals

Hi everyone! Been a l-o-n-g couple of weeks. Work, community meetings and a few fun things for me. Haven't always been super frugal but, darnit, I give myself props for writing down everything I've spent and reconciled my accounts on the daily. I've also gotten really lucky by getting some Kmart surprise points that's resulted in a free iron, free wine glasses, an almost free "vegetti" grater than turns squash etc into noodley-shapes, and an almost free water bottle. And I entered a contest and won a new bra. Plus I received a few other freebies from Kroger, 7-11, et al. Also scored a free, year-long membership to a local museum. Really am looking forward to some of their lectures.

I'm also proud of myself for taking my own oatmeal, snacks and lunch to work. Am keeping a jar of Trader Joe's instant coffee at my desk. These are new habits I'm trying to develop. I've always been able but just never have.

This "mini habit" method really has been a game changer for me. My goals are small but I am keeping at them every day and noticing myself automatically writing things down, calculating alternatives on the fly, and even prepping my snack baggies without thinking. Very small steps, but definitely forward.

I've given up soda. It took figuring out I have acid reflux to do that. Not only will it help my wallet, but my waistline, too! It's been about a week.

I'm going on a long weekend visit to a friend in Charlotte next weekend. The last time I had a pedicure was maybe a month ago and my toes are looking might ragged. I wanted to get them done again before my trip (I'm still wearing sandals - my feet are always hot), but didn't want to spend the $40 + tip since I've had a lot of dental expenses lately. So I spent $15 at Target on a manicure/pedicure tool set, cheap color & clear polish, cotton balls, & polish remover. I've already got a good foot file. I will miss the leg and foot massage, though! And that great massage chair!

ETA: I've also been very good about bringing my lunch to work.

Great SL wins mastermind, and great that you are implementing steps that will help you that you weren't able to do before! Sounds like you are on a roll!

That's great Tradd that you are doing your own pedicure...In the past I always did my own mani and pedi and it looked very professional. I loved using Loreal nail polish but believe they test on animals which I didn't know then. Make sue you use a base coat and a top coat after applying your polish...it will look great. Don't forget to push back your cuticals before you start.

I'm really glad to hear that you are giving up soda...so toxic for the body...

Have a great time on your trip!!!

Oof, both DH's and my smartphones are on their last legs. We bought identical models at the same time, so the manufacturer's planned obsolescence is working just fine. We found some good phones online so I bought them through a website that gave us a 5% discount, along with $10 off for another coupon code I had, and got free shipping. Not a lot, but doing it that way probably saved us about $40 in all.

We might just end up saving ourselves $250,000.00 if we decide not to buy this house after all! Both DH and I are getting nervous about "marrying" a house and having to love it "till death do us part." It's a great house, and I know there would be about ten minutes of joy if we bought it, and then that would be immediately followed by a lifetime of being anxious about whether we'd be able to hold onto it. We've decided to ask the landlady if we can extend the rental agreement for another year. (We are supposed to buy it in February, according to the sales contract, and are renting it now.)

Saw on a deal website that if I buy a few things I personally have no use for, I could get them free plus make $1 profit. Was tempted to go shopping til I remembered the gym closed at 10 and my health comes ahead of everything else. My little commitment to myself.

Well, the pedi went well, except I dripped a bit of bright pink polish on my new purple bathroom rug. It's not coming out. Oh, well.

Williamsmith
    It snowed here yesterday. Off to the big box store where I have been watching the summer seasonal items prices. Bought an outdoor grill cover for $6 ........originally $30. Also a heavy duty wire cleaning brush $5... Originally $10. Now if my 2nd grade math is right, I saved $29 !!

My daughter brought my heart grandson over yesterday because his mom was working. We were going to to take him to the pumpkin patch ($ pumpkin, hayride, cider and a cookie, maybe some gourds) but instead we spent the whole afternoon touring the construction site that used to be my backyard (we dressed him in my son's hard hat and vest from work) and playing in the dirt piles the dump truck left. His choice.

Hi Tradd, maybe if you do a little research on the I
    internet you can get that polish out?

Great savings Williamsmith, I too like to wait until the end of season to buy things that I need. Worked out great for you!

Chicken lady, sounds like such a great time for your Grandson! Such a great idea...

This is a relative frugal rather than an absolute frugal, but Sat night we went to the theater with DBIL & DSIL, small theater with reasonable ticket prices, "The Texas Chainsaw Musical." We had bought the tickets for DBIL's birthday, and all were happy for a good night out instead of adding more stuff to our lives. Talked about going out for food & drinks first, but ended up doing some takeout at the house with beer & wine, which had a much lower price tag.
    DH cooked us a great dinner last night: couscous, asparagus & Argentinian pink shrimp. The shrimp were frozen from Trader Joe's and recommended by a co-worker. They taste somewhere between shrimp & lobster. They seemed pretty pricey at $10. a bag, but since they were wonderful and a bag will feed the two of us twice, it's really affordable for a high-quality seafood option. I guess they don't always have them; we had checked for a few weeks before we were able to get some.
    Good work on all the frugals above. It's amazing how much you can save with the right timing, Williamsmith.
    Tradd, I suspect you'll come out ahead in a pretty short time by DYI on the mani-pedi stuff, even if you do need to buy a new rug (which hopefully you won't).

Thread Information