Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Places to stay in London?

Places to stay in London?

I'm planning a one-week trip to London for next spring, and being the frugal one, I'm trying to find a place that is inexpensive, clean, safe, friendly, near Tube stops. And trying to keep it all under $135.

On Rick Steves' travel board, I've been told that's durned near impossible in London. I'm looking at hotels, B&Bs, hostels, Airbnb (which sorta gives me the willies).

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, folks!

Good luck in London! It's very expensive. Maybe sign up for Travelzoo or other sites that offer deals. Something might turn up since you have a few months.

Actually I looked at Expedia and just picked a week in May and found several between $100-$125/night:

https://www.expedia.com/Hotel-Search...rt=recommended
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thank you, Catherine. I've been looking at various web sites and the amount of places to stay in London is nothing short of stupefying. First I look, then I check the ratings at tripadvisor. It's quite a challenge!

I've been to London 3x, and was lucky enough to stay with friends or have friends who found lodging for me. I never appreciated it at the time, but boy, do I ever now!

That's the best part of business travel.. I travel, client pays. Of course, there's the issue of having to work all day in exchange for the airfare and hotel, but sometimes I get to enjoy.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

if you are over 40 you might want to look in to The Affordable Travel Club. I have been in it for years and it is a magnificent deal.

What a great idea! I am over 40 but I cannot offer anyone a place to stay in exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by kally View Post
    if you are over 40 you might want to look in to The Affordable Travel Club. I have been in it for years and it is a magnificent deal.

ah too bad frugalone. It is a great deal but you do have to have a guest room.

I know it's not in downtown London but when I was in England in July, I spent a total of 8 nights at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow (3 nights before our group trip, then 5 nights at the end). It's very close to Heathrow Airport and there are free buses to/from Heathrow, where you can get the Tube. We had the full Edwardian breakfast each day (quite a feast!) but I'm not sure if that's included with each room or if it was part of the group package we had. There were a few other hotels along that stretch of road but not much in the way of restaurants or other amenities.

how about airbnb?

This is a fall booking, but you might find something.

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/6611663?...s=2&s=JLPM3rgf

I'll check them out. Thanks!

I'm a little disappointed. I emailed a sort-of-friend/pen pal who lives in outer London and told her I was coming. I asked her advice for a hotel/B&B and said I'd love to meet up with her. It's a weird situation--we were estranged for 27 years but recently became friends again through social media. I know she is a very busy working mom with a child at home, but I had hoped that after a couple of days, I'd have gotten an email saying, "Will get back to you on this; busy at the moment."

Maybe she feels uncomfortable with the idea of my coming to England again. Being friends on Facebook is one thing, but seeing each other again after nearly 3 decades is another.

Thread Information