Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which comes first: flight or hotel?

Someone on another forum told me to wait until January because there are better deals. However, no one else seems to think there are deals at all. It's like, when you find a price you can live with, buy your ticket.

Which airport would you be flying out of?

I know there are "secrets" to getting lower fares, but I don't know what they are. I found one site that said the day of the week you book the travel makes a difference, but it didn't say what day that is.

One site said that if you go to a travel site and book a flight with a rental car, the airline fare will be significantly less.

Another site says Google Flight Search is the best source for cheap flights.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Newark

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    Which airport would you be flying out of?

If you're willing to make a stop in Iceland and fly into Gatwick instead of Heathrow, Iceland Air will take you there round trip for $537. If you want a direct flight to Heathrow, British Airways looks the best around $701. This from www.kayak.com

I'm on the Iceland Air site right now and I'm getting a RT of over $1K. Confusing...Maybe because of my dates?

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    If you're willing to make a stop in Iceland and fly into Gatwick instead of Heathrow, Iceland Air will take you there round trip for $537. If you want a direct flight to Heathrow, British Airways looks the best around $701. This from www.kayak.com

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    I'm on the Iceland Air site right now and I'm getting a RT of over $1K. Confusing...Maybe because of my dates?
    Probably has to do with your dates. I put in a Saturday outbound and a Sunday inbound in May and got an Iceland Air flight less than $500. kib is right: 700-770 seems to be the price otherwise.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I think the rates go up at the end of May because of Memorial Day and a bank holiday in England. Earlier in May they are cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    I think the rates go up at the end of May because of Memorial Day and a bank holiday in England. Earlier in May they are cheaper.
    Could be.. I just found a non-stop in early May on United for 443. How many days are you traveling? And are your dates flexible?

Shoulder season, that's April and May, are less expensive than high season which is June - August.

At least, that's the way it used to be to go to Europe and I doubt things have changed.

Winter is your cheapest time. We went to the U.K. once for two weeks after Thanksgiving. It was relatively mild even up in Northern England and Scotland.

Thread Information