Thread: Building resident hitting buzzers of other units to be buzzed in.

Building resident hitting buzzers of other units to be buzzed in.

I've rented a condo for 7 years. This complex is a mix of owner-occupied units and rentals. A lot of people have dogs. My buzzer goes off at random times pretty often, at least a couple times a week, sometimes as late as 11pm. No one answers when I ask who it is, so I don't buzz whoever it is in. Today I got yelled at by neighbor for not letting her in after she was done walking her dog. She was apparently hitting all the buzzers for the building. She admitted she doesn't carry her keys or cell phone. When I asked her why she didn't buzz her own unit, so her partner could let her in, she didn't answer and just yelled at me again for not letting her in. She then started in on another building resident who was in the hallway, too. I simply said that if I'm not expecting someone and I get no answer through the intercom, I'm not letting anyone in. It would be much different if she had forgotten her keys and said so.

Any other condo/apartment dwellers with this problem?

I've always wondered how all of that buzzing works in actuality. We have a friend we visit regularly who is in a secure building like yours. I hate the buzzer but I understand its purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I've always wondered how all of that buzzing works in actuality. We have a friend we visit regularly who is in a secure building like yours. I hate the buzzer but I understand its purpose.
    IL, this setup is pretty common here. These are apartment style condos, so we don't have outside access for each unit. All units open off a central hallway. I'm glad there isn't an open door to the building.

this was common in low income housing apt towers. I would see people just push an entire row of buzzers and wait for the inevitable trusting or demented person who would buzz them in. A measure to keep residents safe actually doing the opposite if no one follows it.

I will admit, in the off hours when the office staff are gone, a patient who always buzzed me in and then at our, standing appt time, suddenly does not, does not answer their phone and have no next of kin to contact in an emergency, I have buzzed a neighbor, because the super never answers. Because it's 50/50- they forgot and are out or they are dead on the floor. The neighbors were usually willing and when I got up there, I showed them my ID.

I doubt you get many of us, when we do it, it's because we are trying to avoid calling 911 when the patient turns out to be out and about. But we really should not be doing that either.

a woman who perpetually does that because she doesn't take her keys, that's BS and I would think eventually your neighbors are going to think so as well

My motherinlaw lives in a ground floor unit close to the front door. The door is locked at night and on weekends. She will get a variety of people coming to her patio door asking to be let in. It got so bad that a building meeting was held to reexplain proper door use to everyone. Employees (nurses and delivery people)must call the specific resident to get let in.

Crazy inconsiderate neighbors are the worst.

Williamsmith
    That would drive me absolutely insane. I live in a condo but nothing like described here. We have four units to a building, all on the ground floor about 1700 square feet and with our own front door entrance and garage entrance. It's really a community itself with 25 buildings all about fifty yards apart, nice landscaping, paved private roads and a big gate out front that closes at 9 pm and opens at 6 am. The only intruders you should reasonably concern yourself with would be the black bears who like to pull down bird feeders and eat the seeds. The deer and the turkeys aren't any trouble at all. I can't live anywhere near a city......this is out in a very rural county.

A solution to the crazy inconsiderate neighbors. Just pass out religious tracts and evangelize every person you have to let in. They will find out another way in and soon let you alone.

I would flat out lie in this situation.......

(Why the expletive would I buzz some random idiot in who doesn't respond, I had a friend raped by someone who was randomly buzzed in)

It will get the point across quickly, For more effect, add (and they figured out who buzzed in and they ended up being sued).
    I don't deal well with others putting people at needless risk.

I like the approach of toomuchstuff. I would definitely say this to the face of the key forgetting resident. Maybe in a very public way, so other residents also hear it.

Additionally, I would tell building management. They need to know the in place security is being disregarded / bypassed by this resident. If the whole building gets used to her "ring them all and don't respond" tactic and just buzzes in whomever does that, then one can assume that the residents will also be prone to buzzing in anyone - Even a crazed psycho killer rapist. Not a position a building manager would want to be in, I'm guessing. They can then chose to address it with both the abuser and the building residents as a whole.

sweeten, OMG, your poor mom! I'd die if someone did that to me, and I'm only 45. I'd be thinking it's someone going to rob me.

at some buildings, there would be the inevitable door stopper in place, so people could just walk in and help themselves to the little the disabled and poor elderly have. I would kick the door stopper out of place after walking through, the people in the lobby would yell at me, because they sit there all day kibbutzing and they got sick of getting up and letting random people in. I tired to explain why this is not a great idea. On my way out, the door stopper was always back in place. And some of these are in such bad neighborhoods, I feel like there should be human security in giant buildings, never gonna happen

I wish I could do something about them playing with their danged dog and that ball in the middle of the night.

Thread Information