Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wealthy people putting water wells in their back yards

wealthy people putting water wells in their back yards

There was an article in our local paper about some wealthy residents near my neighborhood that are paying many thousands to have water wells drilled in their backyards. They want to skirt the mandatory water conservation rules and be able to keep their massive lawns emerald green and have thier own water supply in case other sources dry up. In Texas, we have rule of capture meaning one has the right to capture water for personal/business use from their property. Something about this seems so wrong to me, especially during this historical drought. I understand having a well when you live out in the country but in the middle of the city? I think I am just fed up with rich people doing whatever they want because they can. Grrr...

Hmmm......We have our own well out here in the country, and if someone puts a well in to water their crops or their livestock, the neighbors worry about them using up all the water in the aquafir. I wonder if that's going to be a problem in Texas, where there are drought conditions already.
    Its probably not been done before, so the local government might have to make some new rules.

Years ago when we were in the midst of a massive drought, there was a very wealthy person in town who just used as much water as he wanted to keep his massive lawns green. And paid the massive fines. He didn't care about anyone else as long as he could see green when he looked out his window.

Too many of the rich have forgotten that they are no better than anyone else, and have obligations to the society in which they live like the rest of us. Too many apparently think us ordinary citrizens should just 'eat cake'...
    moo

In our county, in order to drill a new well you need a minimum lot size of 35 acres. There have been times when I grumbled about that, but it is basically smart to do so. Seems to me that water regulations all over the country - or at least all over the west -- need a major overhaul.

In the case of your neighbors, the rule of capture wouldn't seem to apply (to my thinking, anyway). A well is dug to tap into a water table shared by many, hardly belonging to them alone. What a shame that's being allowed.

I guess I didn't realize until I saw a segment on the news last night, of the drought in the south. Its pretty scary. And to think some arrogant rich jerk could use water to water his lawn, when farmer's crops are dead is outrageous. I would approach the local government about changing a few rules in this drought.

i've long thought that lawns were rather ridiculous things.

it's one thing if the grass just grows and one tosses some sheep on there. it's another thing to keep a large lawn for ostentation.

better to put some planter boxes in, drill yoru well, and grow veggies and fruits and nuts for you and your neighbors. seed saving. chickens. make it alive.

Our county used to allow wells to be put in by anyone. We live in a rural county. But as wells began go dry they adopted new regulations. You must test the size of the aquifer and the amount of water it can produce before you can build on the property. As said above the water under your property came from somewhere else and was probably going to property down hill from you.

Zoebird......I agree with you. Mowed, meticulous lawns seem so barren and sterile to me. I wonder where that notion of a "beautiful lawn" ever got started? Its really good for nothing.

OK, I'll be the pervert that likes a good lawn. In Central Texas that usually means St. Augustine grass. Yes, it does take little more water than bermuda but I am just not into the "dead yard" look. I live in the country and our yard has expanded probably beyond our desires but it is so nice on these 100+_ days in the summer. It's like our own little oasis.

Peace

It's funny but I have two elderly neighbors on either side of me that are both adamant about keeping their lawns green. They have sprinkler systems that go off at 5 am every morniing. To me, their yards look like cemeteries. I often fantasize about placing tombstones in their backyards. I'm sorry but I don't get the logic of keeping your lawn green in this horrible drought. I am doing good to keep my trees alive right now so a lawn seems like something from another era.

Thread Information