Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top Ten Heroes of 2015

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    I think I might vote for the farmer, Richard Joyner. I think his work is not only feeding the hungry, but "teaching a man to fish" - giving a generation of people skills and experience working together toward both stable community, less unstable economy and some sense of small power over their lives. What he's doing isn't novel, but it's reaching into the future.

I like River From The Sky Bhagwati Agrawal for many of the same reasons.
    if we could replicate what this guy did in every community we could knock the hell out of diabetes and put McDonalds and WalMart out of the food Business. Or at least put a big kink in their colon, or something like that. Nice choice kib.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    top 3

Dr Withers

Dr Ivankovich

Bhagwati Agrawal

the first two because those are amazing feats that benefit so many. Agrawal, because WATER, lol.

4th the homeless advocate and fifth, Gobin.

refreshing that this was not a list of politicos
    Ivankovich.......there is a guy that isn't overwhelmed by a problem. he just flat goes out and does something about it. Truly inspiring. None of this worry over whether they deserve it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Ivankovich.......there is a guy that isn't overwhelmed by a problem. he just flat goes out and does something about it. Truly inspiring. None of this worry over whether they deserve it or not.
    I wish we had people like this in public office, helping with healthcare reformation. Not those who really serve the Insurance industry and Big Pharma, while claiming to represent the people. Not all do this and we've made progress but we are making it 100s harder than it has to be

the fireman tells his friend: "If I don't come back, my father is your father." sob, but he came back

Some wondered whether the focus on the firemen's bravery in official media was helping the authorities avoid difficult questions.
    "Every time when disaster happens, state media always spread heroic acts," a poster on Weibo wrote, according the the AFP news agency.
    "In the end, people are touched by these stories. Then nobody asks the cause of the accident to explore the truth."

sometimes it feels that way here, not a trait to emulate. The faces of those boys, the youngest 18, that's just a kid, how devastating

I don't know how to pick from these amazing people.

I agree that Gobin's contribution is a very creative and restorative one for a group of people that deeply deserve our respect and help. I can't think of better medicine than being in nature in an extremely supportive atmosphere.

But others are really great. When I think of one who has sacrificed much in order to give where she saw a need, I have to say I was inspired by Maggie Doyne--only 28, and she started a school on another continent with her babysitting money. Amazing…almost like a Mother Theresa. I love her story of her "conversion moment" when the little girl sitting on the garbage said, "Hello, sister."

Because of my permaculture bent, I really found Bhagwati Agrawal inspirational.

Those who serve the "least among us" like Jim Withers deserves to be on the list, especially because he goes out to the homeless and meets them where they are.

So, those are my top picks.

Interesting thread, Williamsmith.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

So, the Hero of the Year is one of my top picks: Maggie Doyne. I have to say, it's a good choice for all the reasons I mentioned, but all the others are all amazing heroes as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/17/world/...015/index.html
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    You nailed it Catherine. Now, please give to a local charity that does good work everyone.

Coming from working in the soup kitchen this morning, prepping food, visiting with those attending and serving them, there are wonderful miniheroes doing small services everywhere. I love reading and hearing about the services given from the heart and mind for the benefit of the community. Thanks for this thread.

Thread Information