Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Family event I don't want to attend

I was going to say exactly what Freshstart said. It is a birthday party for the kids and their friends. Go see or take your uncle out at a quieter time.

This is about you, not your uncle. If you never see him again, are you OK with that? And there is NOTHING wrong with being OK with that.

There are no do-overs in this life. Be sure your decisions are best for you.

Don't let people "should" on you.

Just say no. You'll learn that it can be a really good feeling. Give yourself permission to do what YOU want to do.

I wouldn't want someone to come to my party because they thought they should. What if it were your party and people who don't want to be around you came simply because they don't honor their own needs? It makes a bad vibe. As a kid I didn't enjoy people my parents' age coming to children's parties.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

Update: I ended up going to the party and it was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be!

My mother makes the little girls sound like demons. She really does. They were pretty well behaved (for 8, 5 and 2 year olds, that is) and my DH even had a long conversation with the "horrible" 8 year old. My uncle was in good spirits and I was happy to see him. (He had just been in the hospital the week before). My sister made an unexpected appearance, too. Also saw a family member who just last year had a major seizure and her family was told she would spend the rest of her life in a nursing home. She is walking without her walker or cane and talking (she is in her early 40s) and I was so glad to see her.

I can't speak for future years but I am glad I went this year.

Regarding lunch etc. with my uncle. I have a very odd shift at work that pretty much puts the kibosh on my social life. Also, he is at home taking care of the 2-year-old most of the time and finds it hard to get away. They also live about an hour away from my home.

I'm a sucker for a happy ending!

I'm glad it worked out so unexpectedly nicely.

Thread Information