Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: They can't afford me

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I'm in Charlotte now. What I've seen of the football obsessed culture down here, I totally dislike. My sports are hockey and baseball. I really like where I live in the Chicago area. Rents down here are high. Wages for my industry are less than the Chicago area. Some of the tax stuff here is crazy.
    Things would have been crazy with the baseball obsessed culture, if the Cubs made it to the series. (but odds are your a Sox fan)

I'm a Cubs fan. But it's more than that. It's as if football and basketball are the only shows in town. I saw that in Louisiana with football too. It's religion in the south and more than an obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    *waves at tradd* We were in Charlotte today. Just wait until it's time for a NASCAR race.... I agree about the rents in the city proper, but just outside the loop it's very reasonable. People commute from all over the region, so if you were considering it a little more seriously, I would check the suburbs out. And wages, also lower but the cost of living overall is lower than Chicago. Although it sounds as if this might not be a good fit for you.

We have a vacation home just south of blowing rock, in the foothills of the blue ridge mountains. I compare it to our home in Florida, so not quite Illinois. Food and gas are the same. Housing purchase price lower in nc. homeownership taxes and insurance MUCH lower...but of course Florida has no state tax, and you would be renting so it wouldn't apply. Wages are the same-ish, but the problem is getting a good job. Sometimes I feel that is as rare as hen's teeth. It's likely that if you lost the job you came here for you might have to relocate again. Connections / networking / nepotism go a long way, and outsiders don't stand a chance.

Personally, I love the culture and the small town feel. Nobody is afraid to lend a hand or offer aid. If you look lost, I guarantee someone will offer directions. If you still seem confused, they will likely lead you there. No kidding. I chat with complete strangers all the time. Sometimes I will see someone I've spoken to before - now we're instant friends!
    People are generally very helpful up here. The job situation is the real issue. I've been watching the job listings online for my industry for NC since the spring. Things have slowed to a trickle. Now, it might just be the time of year, but things are slowing up here pretty badly with the Chinese economy slowdown. Other companies are laying off people, as mine has. So I'll just stay put. I like the demographics of my area.

I have no idea if there are jobs in Nnew Hampshire, but that's a state with heavy libertarian leanings which respect gun possession. From my quick review it looks like concealed carry is permitted. It has beautiful,cold,winters, that's for sure!
    you are probably best to stay in Chicago, but I am interested in your thoughts on New Hampshire.

Jobs would be scarce up there. Plus, I'd have to drive through NY to get to other states. No, thank you. It's very difficult driving through NY with any sort of guns, even locked in your trunk. Many people have gotten jammed up. Even transferring through a NY airport is an issue.

Thread Information