Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going out for coffee

Going out for coffee

Because I am vegan I make nearly all our food at home. BUT I do go out for coffee a couple of times a week. I could give this up and save $8 - 12 a week, but it is not worth it. Coffee out is a treat, I meet people and I get to read a newspaper.

Some small indulgences are really worth it in my opinion. Thoughts?

Pizza. I can make it at home, but I can't make pizza I love at home, I've tried many times and it's always decent-but. Now that I'm eating fewer carbs and less wheat, I don't even bother, it's a very very specific taste and texture I'm after and variations just don't cut it for me.

So even though it's against my low carb rules, I simply must go out for pizza once a month. To me what makes it 'worth it' is that it's a special treat, but if my body would let me, I'd have that small indulgence with half my meals.

Williamsmith
    I introduced my wife to Tim Hortons French vanilla cappuccino I'd say about ten years ago. At $2.23 per serving per day .....she likes extra large servings.......that's an $814 per year indulgence and an $8140 mistake on my part. She used to like simple earl grey tea. What was I thinking? So this particular small indulgence , not so small.

If it's what you use to socialize (meet friends for coffee) I agree it probably is worth it, and it's cheap as far as social activities go. Really some people who would preach against this really do not get it (they don't understand we don't all have nice houses to invite people to - it might just be an efficiency apartment etc.)

I do think it can be rationalized even if it's not really needed (as in "I must stop for coffee every day before work to compensate myself for having to go to that grind"), but as socializing it's good. Yes I think it's more important to maintain social relationships than to save a few bucks, those are my values, deal with it . What people really need is a sense of connection, sometimes even this is just being around strangers even if they aren't meeting anyone, more than they need a few extra bucks, well unless their finances are getting down to food or rent or something, then never mind, they need the few bucks.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 10-21-15 at 1:40am.
    Trees don't grow on money

Of course it's worth it! Voluntary simplicity calls for choices in how you spend money.

spend it on the things that bring value to you pr life.

My justification is that it is a treat and I only order a regular coffee. It is good that I love a regular coffee with milk and sweetner. Not for me the double priced, full of calories, lattes, mochas, or any other concoction that is more than about $2.50. I even have a couple of coffee cups from various places that allow for lower priced refills and splurge on a "fancy" drink only when I have earned a free one.

We all have our own justifications.

rodeosweetheart
    "Some small indulgences are really worth it in my opinion. Thoughts?"

So true! I like to buy really good furniture polish and nice soap, for example. In fact, soap has become an indulgence--nothing too extreme, but it's a luxury that makes everyday life nicer.

I think going out to be with people is vital, and coffee shops provide that. I work at home, and I love buying coffee out.

All those financial writers who say, just cut back on lattes and you will save x thousand dollars--probably not true, and very demoralizing, in my book.

I agree, Simple Living can sometimes cross the line into deprivation. I think you going out for coffee provides a few great needs for you. Well worth the money if it was me.

Quote Originally Posted by kally View Post
    Because I am vegan I make nearly all our food at home. BUT I do go out for coffee a couple of times a week. I could give this up and save $8 - 12 a week, but it is not worth it. Coffee out is a treat, I meet people and I get to read a newspaper.

Some small indulgences are really worth it in my opinion. Thoughts?

Worth it. It's quality not quantity, right?

you know I think it was that nagging latte effect thing I have read about so much that got me to write this. It is totally worth it. And here in Canada a lot of regular coffee now costs more than $2, but it is pretty good coffee.

Thread Information