Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Risk of Electronic Health Records

most of my doctors are setting up patient portals now, you can make appts, and this must be a huge adjustment to the office- email the doc, I assume the nurse triages these. But I cannot imagine the time suck that must be, a good thing but not easy for them by any means because I think people are more likely to email than to make that phone call.

rodeosweetheart
    Gardnr, I hear you on the retiring out vs. going with the new records system. A lot of the older doctors in my parents' neck of the woods have done this, do not wish to practice medicine this way. It happened to my mom--her doctor retired, so now she has no doctor. I said, mom, don't you want to get a new doctor, and she said, no way, I know where to find him. Not sure exactly what she has in mind, but it is her business, and at 90, if she wants to retire out from the medical system, I think it is her right.

Still, I wish she had a doctor to go to if she needed something like antibiotics.. .

or if something happened like a fall and she had pain. But she could use a doc in the box for minor stuff

rodeosweetheart
    She has a plan to go to the ER. Her old doc moonlights there. That is probably what she meant, she knew where to find him! They are extremely rural and she is extremely tough. When my dad cut his toe off falling off his tractor she threw him and the toe in the car and drove the 40 minutes to the ER.

A fall would definitely be horrible and is my worst fear for them at their age.

Thread Information