Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Travel pack recommendations?

I bought the ebags for a trip a few years back. Not crazy about it - too many straps to keep up with and in the end once it was stuffed - too heavy for my small frame.

OP, are you intending to take one bag without wheels?

Since I think soft sided suitcases with wheels is one of the greatest inventions of the 21st century, I am skeptical of any new trend that calls for a different kind of bag

When I last went to the UK I found black pants in a rough silk fabric to be useful. They dry overnight when you wash them, and they are very light to carry. I found this pair at Goodwill. they were not fashionable but they were practical.

I'm off on a weekend trip down to the SE to visit friends this weekend. I would normally carry on, but I want to take my pistol with me, so I have to check a bag. I found lightweight hard sided cases at Kohl's on sale over the summer. I have a 20" wheeled bag and a 24" one.

rodeosweetheart
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I'm off on a weekend trip down to the SE to visit friends this weekend. I would normally carry on, but I want to take my pistol with me, so I have to check a bag. I found lightweight hard sided cases at Kohl's on sale over the summer. I have a 20" wheeled bag and a 24" one.
    I bought this hardsided one at Target and it is the greatest!

Mine are Samsonite. PURPLE! Can't miss it on the carousel when I'm getting my bag after my flight!

Hi Frugalone,

I was tempted to get a similar pack at our local travel store, but the salesperson actually talked me into sticking with my old roll-aboard.

Why?
    He said he had tried traveling with one and found it inconvenient.
    When you're waiting in line at the airport or other transport you either have to have it on or haul it around.
    If you have the big pack, then (obviously) you can't carry a smaller day pack at the same time, and need to schlep a tote bag or purse.
    He said the travel packs are not designed to distribute weight evenly (as hiking backpacks are) so they are really only good for short distances.
    His advice was to either get a real hiking backpack (if you really need to carry your stuff with you at all times) or an ultralight 2-wheel roll-along bag. (I bought neither, but may get one of those cool ultralite suitcases some day.) He felt the 2-wheelers were lighter and less troublesome than the 4-wheel spinners.

If you are going somewhere for just a few days and can keep your phone, wallet, tickets, etc. in your pockets, then the pack might work pretty well.

Anyhow, I was just flying to the city and going to the hotel, so my rolling carry-on, combined with my everyday backpack, worked out great.
    My .02, for what it's worth.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Hi Frugalone,

I was tempted to get a similar pack at our local travel store, but the salesperson actually talked me into sticking with my old roll-aboard.

Why?
    He said he had tried traveling with one and found it inconvenient.
    When you're waiting in line at the airport or other transport you either have to have it on or haul it around.
    If you have the big pack, then (obviously) you can't carry a smaller day pack at the same time, and need to schlep a tote bag or purse.
    He said the travel packs are not designed to distribute weight evenly (as hiking backpacks are) so they are really only good for short distances.
    His advice was to either get a real hiking backpack (if you really need to carry your stuff with you at all times) or an ultralight 2-wheel roll-along bag. (I bought neither, but may get one of those cool ultralite suitcases some day.) He felt the 2-wheelers were lighter and less troublesome than the 4-wheel spinners.

If you are going somewhere for just a few days and can keep your phone, wallet, tickets, etc. in your pockets, then the pack might work pretty well.

Anyhow, I was just flying to the city and going to the hotel, so my rolling carry-on, combined with my everyday backpack, worked out great.
    My .02, for what it's worth.
    thsts what I've done, take an standard size backpack and a rolling bag. Mine isn't ultra lite, but it doesn't need to be, it's light enough.

https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/travel-bags

There is NOTHING cheap about his stuff. Go here for advice and then shop around for similar product if you like what you see here and can't afford it. He truly is a travel genius. My sister travels a TON and swears by his ways.

One of the best values has always been the Outdoor Products Essential Carry-On sold by Campmor. It is frameless.

https://www.campmor.com/c/campmor-essential-carry-on

Yes, I am. I do have a rollaboard that is about 20 years or so old. It's somewhat heavy even without being packed, and packed, I can't really lift it. I can't imagine taking it up flights of stairs in Tube stations where they don't have an elevator.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    OP, are you intending to take one bag without wheels?

Since I think soft sided suitcases with wheels is one of the greatest inventions of the 21st century, I am skeptical of any new trend that calls for a different kind of bag

When I last went to the UK I found black pants in a rough silk fabric to be useful. They dry overnight when you wash them, and they are very light to carry. I found this pair at Goodwill. they were not fashionable but they were practical.

Thread Information