Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple Living

Simple Living

Has anyone noticed the activity here has been significantly less than the old site?

I've been a lurker forever and am trying a little blogging on to document my wife and I's journey.

Just thought I'd share it: http://milehighjinks.wordpress.com

Be well!

-Dave

Sounds as though you are working out a sense of direction. It will be easy to get led astray though.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Razz, where's the positivity?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcowan View Post
    Has anyone noticed the activity here has been significantly less than the old site?
    Yep! I've been trying to post alot and start new threads but there just doesn't seem to be much interest. Or maybe the interest lies on threads I don't read - like the cooking or farming boards. It's discourging for sure. Lots of old members have drifted away - even those who started out pretty active on the new boards. I may be moving on myself soon.
    Last edited by Spartana; 4-8-11 at 1:55pm.

oh, I think participation waxes and wanes depending on season of the year, whether there are things coming up in life that people want to chew over with others, etc. While we had a larger number of people registered at the old site, when an administrator looked down the list of members to see when they had last logged in, the membership list was littered with large numbers of people who hadn't visited the site for months, or years.

Also, the recession is easing a bit (not that the unemployed can feel it yet), so fewer people are finding themselves driven to Google for frugality, simple living and other subjects that impending job loss or financial worries impel.

What we probably should be considering is not how MANY people participate, but whether the discussions are worth our attention, help us solve problems, share solutions with others, make us feel as though we have a community of like minded people here, since so many of our members live in "simple living deserts" surrounded by the consumerists........

I honestly don't see much less in numbers of threads and lengths of discussions. As a moderator, I try to at least skim all the threads, especially those in the forums for which I'm responsible, and I can tell you, it takes me about as long as it used to, so I really don't think there are a lot fewer comments, or threads themselves. But that's a subjective view, and could be wrong, but so is the feeling that not many people are interested. I guess time will tell.

You're right Loose chickens - It's not the size that counts, it's the quality :-)! But it does seem to me that many of the things that we use to talk about on the old boards - things that interest me personally like minimalism, alternative and adventurous ways to live, ways to retire early on a small amount of money, etc... - aren't of interest to anyone anymore and the threads sort of fall dead right away when those things are brought up. It seems more focused on back to land and "homey" things now. So I have drifted a bit to more of those kinds of sites that interest me - like the ex-pat sites, Lonely Planet, etc.. I guess that's normal in any forum. As you said, people come and go, interests wan and wax. I do hope things pick up a bit though. I like this site.

Sorry for hogging the thread David, will read your journal and respond!

Razz, where's the positivity?
    Davidmcowan, at this moment you have only 3 posts here yourself - two in this thread that you started in order to advertise your new blog.

There can be thousands of lurkers, but a board is what the non-lurking members make it. If you want to read more here, why not pitch in yourself and post more - instead of ragging on those who do.

Posts beget posts.... Just sayin'.
    moo

Maybe its because of warm welcomes from the folks like you?

Adding a wink to the end of an otherwise confrontational post doesn't make it all better. Perhaps too much time in the forum-o-sphere?

I agree though with prior posts, I used to love the Enough sub-forum and the post on Ted Williams has been sitting at the top of it since this new forum opened. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Davidmcowan, at this moment you have only 3 posts here yourself - two in this thread that you started in order to advertise your new blog.

There can be thousands of lurkers, but a board is what the non-lurking members make it. If you want to read more here, why not pitch in yourself and post more - instead of ragging on those who do.

Posts beget posts.... Just sayin'.

Dave
    Maybe you would like to introduce yourself and we can try to make you feel welcome....

I used to love the Enough sub-forum and the post on Ted Williams has been sitting at the top of it since this new forum opened. Bummer.
    Perhaps you could contribute something to it and move the conversation along.

Perhaps too much time in the forum-o-sphere?
    This forum is relatively active compared to other small forums. When I first check 'new posts', there are always quite a number to check out. I think one of the strengths of this particular forum is that most people are actively involved in their own lives and bring RL perspective to the various threads.

There is a nice nucleus of people actively posting with a full array of life experiences. If you want to associate with people who spend too much time in the 'forum-o-sphere', you need to check out other sites. You won't find them here.

Forums always ebb and flow, but in the end, they are what the posting members make them. This is one of the good ones. Not too big, not too small, just 'goldilocks' right.
    moo

Thread Information