Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trac phone woes

More on the saga. 1. Went to the library to try to use the computer in the "non service" zip code to get it programmed via chat. It would not reprogram using *22890 in the parking lot of the library. I only had 2 bars so on the chat line they could not trouble shoot, there had to be at least 3 bars to troubleshoot. I told her if I had bars I would not have a problem. So on the way home I was able to do *22890 and it did say it reprogrammed, but I will not know if that worked until I get back to that area again as we crossed to our zip code. So, I get home and I have 2 calls on my home phone about my problem. I called the number ( different from the regular number- perhaps more highly trained script readers?) and after 40 minutes I have a completely reset phone.We will see tomorrow if it worked. She said it would work in the ZIP I gave her that I needed. I'm thinking if this works, perhaps because it was a refurbished phone maybe it was just goofy. I will keep tracking this- ha ha and report.

No luck at all. I talked to a friend who just got an android in the "non service" area. He is having the same trouble. He's going to activate an old phone for home and keep the android as it is great where he works and travels, just not in the dead area. I was even able to program with the *22890- said it was successful, but it still doesn't work. So I will try the help line one more time and then switch back to the old phone. Even if I lose minutes, but I have a call number from them for my response in an email. I'll keep you posted. But as of now I would say do NOT bother to move up to an android if you have a Trac phone.

They are supposedly shutting down the new phone, transferring the number to the old phone, then I am to call and they will transfer my minutes. Not holding my breath, but hoping it will work.

Hope it does, nswef. That's a long time to be without service. Any chance you could press on them for a rebate or additional airtime? Once this is all over, of course.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I might do that, however the phone was $10...I added up my time on the phone. Nearly 3 hours in the two weeks I've had it and tried to correct the problem. Not counting "chat" time on the computer. We had a guy come today- ATT and his phone didn't work up here....but he said it works everywhere else.

Another hour on the phone- number is being transferred with minutes to the old phone and perhaps more minutes....we'll see. I am to wait for "the tower" to do what is needed for the transfer and it is already transferred on their system. While on hold I colored. Makes the time go faster. My friend who has Virgin Mobile had to move all around to get a signal here at our house...truly a dead zone which is why I want to keep the old phone! Who knew the "new and improved android" would be such a flop for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Who knew the "new and improved android" would be such a flop for me.
    I am hopeful, nswef, that, by now, you're happily using TracFone.

I will just mention that a phone's ability to hold on to a signal depends on the strength of the wireless carrier's signal, the band on which that signal is being transmitted (higher Ghz often have trouble penetrating buildings, etc.), and the phone itself (some just have better antennas than others). The operating system on the phone probably is one of the last variables which would affect reception -- though it can affect it in a roundabout way.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

After another hour on the phone it turns out they cannot switch and activate my old Nokia....so I am now waiting for them to transfer back to the LG...and I will be in exactly the same place I was Oct. 23 with no service in one area where I travel and 5 hours of my life lost in frustration. When I mentioned more service time and minutes the response was, we can probably do that but you have to wait until the phone is activated, then talk about that. I am asking for a year's service . All I really want is a phone that works everywhere. I've talked to many people with the same problem in that same area, Verizon and Trac. Our problem is for it to get service where we live...trac seems to be the only one and I hate the thought of paying $30 or more a month for the same coverage as Trac. Modern dilemma. I will post the end of this hopefully soon!

nswef, I'm out of ideas. If I'm understanding correctly, that must be a real dead zone if TF cannot switch you to a carrier that works there. I could see a couple not working, but all of them? Or maybe they're just being dense. Hard to tell from my distance from the issue.

So if Verizon and Tracfone's flavor of Verizon don't work, is there a way you could find out if AT&T, Sprint, or T-Mobile work (friends, family, acquaintances) in both locations? My apologies if you've already done that. But if TF is claiming it's the phone and dragging their feet on trading you for a phone which would work with another carrier, that may be something to try.

If it all pans out with Tracfone but you can find a viable carrier, however, I'd be willing to work with you either on this forum or through PMs to find a version of that service that is cheaper than $30/month.

Thanks Steve. I might take you up on your offer later. Right now I don't want think about it any more. I do have the LG working, when I called to ask for more service time or minutes the script reader said all she can do is give me 5 minutes....I asked for a supervisor...I'm sorry all I can do is give you 5 minutes.....So I hung up. They tend to call back if you hang up and I didn't answer because it was the same girl. Perhaps I will get someone better tomorrow. But I doubt it. I'm going to go eat dinner and watch tv!

Thread Information