Thread: Neti Pot

Neti Pot

I've had a neti pot for a few years, but it's one of those things that is stuffed away and seldom sees any use. I've had a cold all week, and today I was sneezing constantly, like a zillion times, and I was getting really annoyed that I couldn't stop sneezing. I remembered the neti pot, and I decided it couldn't hurt, and so I gave it a try. It really helped! I might have sneezed a couple of times in the several hours since, but that's nothing compared to the before picture. It seemed to soothe my extremely agitated mucous membranes or something. Anyway, i was really glad I tried it and thought I would pass along that wisdom here should you ever find yourself in a similar situation.

Yep, I have a neti pot that I use whenever I feel a cold coming on. It doesn't seem to work very well when I'm extremely stuffed up though since the water just clogs up and can't go anywhere.
    Rebecca

Saddle up my traveling shoes, I'm bound to walk away these blues.

The only thing with a Neti pot is that you MUST use distilled water with it. No other type of water. You can get really sick from just using tap water. You can look it up on the Internet. Just FYI

I agree those things work great!

You can also boil tap water and then let it cool.

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegler...s-rinsing.html

Yes, it worked great for me for a long time like a year....I seemed to have missed the part about boiled or distilled water (I thought since we were on clean drinkable water it was okay with
    the packet of saline they recommend)
    NOT.................I did get really sick with the worse sinus infection I had ever had and it took a lot of antibiotics and steroids to get rid of.
    That was about 18 months ago....thank goodness I have been well since. Of course I may have got it from something else and not the water at all but, won't take that chance in the future.

For awhile when I was trying to get myself better I tried the bottle call "NeilMed Sinus Rnise" I really felt it went much further into the sinuses..it is very gentle and
    much easier to use them the Neti Pot. Again I think because I wasn't using boiled water or because the infection was just too bad nothing work except drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by danna View Post
    Yes, it worked great for me for a long time like a year....I seemed to have missed the part about boiled or distilled water (I thought since we were on clean drinkable water it was okay with
    the packet of saline they recommend)
    NOT.................I did get really sick with the worse sinus infection I had ever had and it took a lot of antibiotics and steroids to get rid of.
    That was about 18 months ago....thank goodness I have been well since. Of course I may have got it from something else and not the water at all but, won't take that chance in the future.

For awhile when I was trying to get myself better I tried the bottle call "NeilMed Sinus Rnise" I really felt it went much further into the sinuses..it is very gentle and
    much easier to use them the Neti Pot. Again I think because I wasn't using boiled water or because the infection was just too bad nothing work except drugs.

There have been deaths caused by using tap water that can be contaminated with the "brain-eating" amoeba known as Naegleria fowleri in the pot, and also failure to sanitize them properly after use. This amoeba is killed by stomach acid when you ingest it, but when it's placed in the nasal passages, it thrives under the right conditions.

I use the Neil med bottle with well water. My understanding is that the amoebas thrive in warm areas where the water may not be treated enough. Again, like getting tetanus in casual garden contact, it's a risk I'm willing to take. I don't bring the bottle when traveling though and never use it with city provided water.

I use boiled tap water with salt anytime I feel a cold coming on--it always derails it. Not in a neti pot though.

Thread Information