Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Why Most Men Don't Make Good Minimalists and Why It Matters

Could the message of the piece be seen as just a poorly explained version of this old saying directed at men?

"Love people, use stuff. Not the other way around."

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Could the message of the piece be seen as just a poorly explained version of this old saying directed at men?

"Love people, use stuff. Not the other way around."
    Ok, I'll accept that as the lesson in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ok, I'll accept that as the lesson in the article.
    That is what I think it is trying to get at. But I do agree that it might very well be "click bait."

Though the minimalist and simple living groups I am part of are just massively dominated by women -- both by numbers and in leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by rodeosweetheart View Post
    Sexist clickbait, indeed.
    It's unfortunate that the Internet is full of this kind of thing.
    Sexism oppresses both men and women.
    Exactly. It's toxic.

I don't view minimalism as being the same as deprivation. If you regularly use and enjoy the things you have, regardless of size, and do not just keep stuff you do not love for the sake of keeping it, then you are living minimally and not in excess for your lifestyle.
    Rebecca

Saddle up my traveling shoes, I'm bound to walk away these blues.

I actually liked this article, with one reservation--if it would just replace the word "men" with "people" it would be great. Many good points.

My DH was borderline hoarder when we fell in love. I didn't have my eyes wide open when I got into the situation. My fault, my responsibility. After 8 years I moved out. At that point it was his choice whether he wanted his stuff or a marriage. He eventually chose the marriage, de-cluttered, and we've been together and happy ever since. I realize now how rare it is for someone to be able to change to that degree. I would never ever ever counsel anyone to get married to someone who has a different perspective on "stuff" -- it almost never happens that people change, or change enough to make it work.

Regardless of the person's sex, I think hobbies tend to require stuff. But, a minimalist may have few hobbies and enough free time to enjoy all of them.

As a horseowner, I think I'm quite a bit more minimalist than other horseowners; there is always something you need. There are also things you don't really need multiples of, but they come in different styles and colors. My barn owner has at least 20 saddlepads for her horse. I have 3, and 2 of those are over 20 years old.

My boss's dh has a pickup truck and sends away for gadgets for it weekly. He's like a kid browsing websites and catalogs. When I look at horse equipment, I'm always grateful that I don't need or want anything.

Now I browse horsie gear wishing my arm and shoulder were healed.

Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post
    Regardless of the person's sex, I think hobbies tend to require stuff. But, a minimalist may have few hobbies and enough free time to enjoy all of them.

As a horseowner, I think I'm quite a bit more minimalist than other horseowners; there is always something you need. There are also things you don't really need multiples of, but they come in different styles and colors. My barn owner has at least 20 saddlepads for her horse. I have 3, and 2 of those are over 20 years old.

My boss's dh has a pickup truck and sends away for gadgets for it weekly. He's like a kid browsing websites and catalogs. When I look at horse equipment, I'm always grateful that I don't need or want anything.

I hope you heal up quickly!

What you talk about above is very interesting stuff. How we reconcile equipment intensive hobbies with simple living and/or minimalism and/or frugality is such a vast and varied discussion. The practices involved in this reconciliation are so customized -- or must be customized. And that makes the whole idea intimidating to many people.

When I am out fishing I will often see some dude with two poles, a couple massive tackle boxes, a motor boat, a trailer, a truck to pull it with, a bunch of electronics like fish finders and such. I mean, the gear just goes on and on.

Then I take a look at myself -- one rod and reel, a tiny canoe, a tackle box the size of shoe, a cooler, and not much else -- no motor, no electronics. And I think: "Man! I am keeping it simple! Look at me! And I catch lots of fish!"

Shortly after I'll paddle by some dude in a pair of rubber boots standing on the shore fishing with less gear than me. He looks serene and relaxed. And he is catching plenty of fish too.

Then I think: "Am I keeping it simple?"

Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post

Feel better! Arm and shoulder pain is really tough. Hope it heals up soon.

Thanks. Had an MRI today and will see ortho next week.

Now that I'm not able to work, I'm on a serious No Spend mission. My four-hooved money pit/hobby will only be getting necessities now. Santa will skip the barn this year.

Thread Information