Thread: Schefflera plant

Schefflera plant

OK, this isn't really "hobbies and creativity" or "gardening/farming" ... but here goes ...

Many years ago, when we lived in a house with lots of light, I had a lot of indoor plants. Here in Idaho, I don't. No good light at all. So ... my sister died recently, and I was gifted with a beautiful schefflera plant. I've had these plants before and they're wonderful, and easy. However ... this one is different. It's actually three or four plants, twisted and bound together. It really is beautiful, but I really don't know how to deal with it. It's about 2 ft tall. I guess I can keep it as it is and deal with it as it gets bigger? I could go to a nursery and ask them, but I thought I'd try here first. Any suggestions?

My sympathy for your loss.

The triple effect is clever marketing to make them more attractive which is the definite result. Usually this triple effect is done with fig trees which is lovely as well. No special treatment for the schefflera beyond the normal watering/fertilizing and repotting when potbound. The lack of light may make it spindly seeking light. Watch for scale which is impossible to clear - been wrestling with this problem taking care of the library plants.

My recollection of having scheffleras is that they are fussy about being moved and would drop leaves - otherwise pretty easy. I would think as long as the plant(s) are in the right size pot, they should be fine.

You are talking about a braided stem, right?

our Shefflera is 6.5' tall and we've had it for 11 years or so. It seems to survive ok although it never looks fantastic. dH moves it outside in summer and back in during the winter where it gets very little light. OP we live in a dark Victorian house that has windows essentially on two sides and in our hierarchy of love the palms get the good spots by the windows and the Shefflera plant sits in the middle,of the house sans light.

Thanks for the info! I feel a lot better now! I was just hoping I wouldn't have to continue braiding it as it grew. Or whatever. (And thank you, razz, for the thought <3 )

Wow, I didn't know they could get that tall, iris lillies! I had a ponytail palm once (15+ years ago) that got HUGE -- 10' feet tall -- outgrew several pots and our large floor-to-window, and gave it to friends, and apparently it's still going strong!

I'm not criticizing Idaho for "no light" -- it's our house, actually. Windows not really conducive to indoor plants. But I'll do the best I can.

Thanks again ...

Thread Information