Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Third GOP Debate

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    ...and I don't have to pay for it, the stupidity et al.
    You're certainly paying for it now. It costs far more to put a person in prison for a year than they could get in various government benefits that they may qualify for.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    You're certainly paying for it now. It costs far more to put a person in prison for a year than they could get in various government benefits that they may qualify for.
    sure, theoretically I am all for de-regulating about anything for adults, but keep in mind that a one position is to move those funds from prison support to drug rehab treatment centers.

nope, I want to see a significant reduction in costs for the drug problem. I think that would come with far fewer law enforcement resources going into the drug war, ignoring the prison/treatment center issue.

But on a practical level I want you, jp, to assure me that in my 'hood that is surrounded by heroin drug wars expressed in daily gunshots and gang murders, I will be significantly safer.

One would think that deregulating of the heroin trade would give everyone less to fight over, but the unintended consequences of these social engineering experiments worry me.

Watch the movie Let's Go To Prison

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    sure, theoretically I am all for de-regulating about anything for adults, but keep in mind that a one position is to move those funds from prison support to drug rehab treatment centers.

nope, I want to see a significant reduction in costs for the drug problem. I think that would come with far fewer law enforcement resources going into the drug war, ignoring the prison/treatment center issue.

But on a practical level I want you, jp, to assure me that in my 'hood that is surrounded by heroin drug wars expressed in daily gunshots and gang murders, I will be significantly safer.

One would think that deregulating of the heroin trade would give everyone less to fight over, but the unintended consequences of these social engineering experiments worry me.
    A hundred years ago the alcohol business involved lots of guns and violence. Repeal of prohibition solved that problem. If the heroin dealers had access to the legal system to settle disputes there wouldn't be any more violent rival drug gangs. And tax the crap enough to pay for rehab programs, or at least methadone chewing gum.

LDAHL spoke of something earlier that he referred to a "sickness of the soul" (or something like that). I don't know that prisons or rehab or chewing gum will fix that root problem that makes people think taking a drug like heroin is an okay life option.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    LDAHL spoke of something earlier that he referred to a "sickness of the soul" (or something like that). I don't know that prisons or rehab or chewing gum will fix that root problem that makes people think taking a drug like heroin is an okay life option.
    Is it perhaps a cultural/spiritual problem more than a political/governance problem?

Thread Information