Thread: "Teal Pumpkin Project"

"Teal Pumpkin Project"

MY DH is reading something to me online about the Teal Pumpkin Project, and I'm totally thinking this is some sort of satirical thing but apparently it is real and not a joke. You are supposed to paint a pumpkin teal and put it out to show that you will be giving out treats that are gluten-nut-dairy-allergen free, or little plastic toys for kids with allergies. Thoughts?

I gave out rubbery little goblins one year, packages of sunflower seeds in the shell another. I never liked handing out sugary crap. Then I quit altogether. I don't think it's a bad idea; it's entirely voluntary, after all.

One theory as to why there are so many allergies today is that children don't play in the dirt any more, and so many parents are germ-phobic. Maybe that's why I've never had allergies; just call me Pigpen...

I heard about the "Teal Pumpkin Project" this morning on the radio. Having had a kid that had food allergies, I think it's a great idea for those who want to participate. There are a lot of nice non-candy options if you look. I passed out small containers of Play-Doh one year. Lots of spider or skull rings, pencils, balls, and a few other fun things.... We don't have that many come by anymore, so we can spend a little more on the treats.

Thread Information