Thread: Starting again, and a move helps

Starting again, and a move helps

Hi all
    I am new to this forum (clearly) but not new to minimalism or decluttering or living more simply and mindfully; take your pick. Call me a backslider (though I have a good excuse I think!). I was forced to downsize completely when I moved to the US from Australia back in 2000. All I could take with me was 2 suitcases, and whatever I could fit in there. Talk about making you choose! I had already started moving toward downshifting, having previously done a couple of purges, and then this opportunity to move came up and it seemed like a good time to take it. Being so 'light' felt great. Previously I had been a hoarder, having grown up in totally chaotic household. I always hated it but somehow some of it rubbed off on me. My Mum is a hoarder and can't throw anything out. I remained more or less a 'light' traveller for the 5 years I was in the US, although I had accumulated some stuff. This I had to pare down and ship back in two tubs as well as my suitcases.

When I arrived home I was still living with little, but then very soon after my arrival, I paired up with a man who was - a hoarder. He could not throw anything out and also a big clutterer. I cleaned and tidied his place (my transformation seemed to have worked) but over time as the relationship turned out not to be nourishing for me and I became increasingly despondent and depressed, I returned to cluttering. It just felt useless in the face of living with someone who just didn't care. Also I returned to a bit of hoarding, but I tend to stay on top of it so that whilst its annoying, it hasn't become unmanageable. Things remained like this for years, even after the relationship broke up I did not return to my neat ways.

Now I have just moved to another city, and just prior to the move I started to doing a toss out, mostly of clothes. When I arrived in the new city, I was relieved - and I have had this experience before - that everything was packed up in boxes and I didn't have to look at or deal with my stuff. Right now the house is comfortably sparse and I have told my husband (different man!) I aim to keep it this way. The thought of opening boxes to be faced with stuff brings on palpitations. Truly. I had this experience once before, a year or so before my US move - I moved into a place, couldn't stand the thought of all my stuff and loved the empty space so much that it was 3 weeks before I opened a box other than to get out cooking necessities. And when I did, I started to purge.

The same thing is happening again. I have been here a month and been very happy living with just the few clothes I had in a duffle bag - it's amazing how little you need (especially if you don't have a day job requiring special clothes). Over the last 2 days I started unpacking my clothes. I have also been reading up on minimalist wardrobes so some of that advice I've kept in mind. Even though I did a purge before I moved, I am stunned by how much clothing I have. When you go through it piece by piece, when you have to unpack it and put it in a new location, when you haven't looked at it for a month, it really gives perspective on how much one has.

I have been using this move to advantage, using the psychological 'trick' of the fresh, unfilled space to carefully select what goes into it. I have been trying on just about every piece and rating it, and so far have managed to put aside for charity a bit over a third, maybe more. It's a smaller wardrobe and it's hard to tell. I'm getting a better perspective on what I actually do use and what I really do like. There is still more in the wardrobe than I would I ideally like to have or that visually makes me comfortable, but I do feel some success with what I've achieved so far, and also I am at the stage where there are several things I just adore, really love, and not yet ready to part with. Also I have moved to a slightly warmer climate, so many of the clothes I thought I was going to toss because I wasn't wearing them (ie shorter sleeves) I'm now keeping or reconsidering, as the temperature has changed. I consider this phase one of my wardrobe, but when I get a better sense of what I actually do wear in this warmer climate, which pieces I do reach for, I will be in a better position to make sensible choices. I think it's too early to tell, yet. The wardrobe is nearly done, but then it's the shoes...oh, I dread the shoes. For someone who hates shoes and shoe shopping, I'm ashamed at how many I do have...this is for another installment.

What I also dread is unpacking my art supplies, though they bring me enormous joy. I have a lot of art supplies - most artists tend to collect lots of supplies. So far I've only found one thing I'm willing to part with; the rest, noooo way. I think I need more time (in years) to decide that no, I will not ever use xyz. It's too early to tell and these are items I will regret if I toss them; I can no longer get many of them easily or as inexpensively as I could, anymore. I have not unpacked them except for one picture I am working on and a few pencils, but I think the fact that I don't have them around me is making me a little depressed. (they are still boxed up ).I loved looking at pencils and pastels and paints and brushes even if sometimes it all looked a bit untidy at times.

This has made me realise that I do need to pull out a painting and do it, and corresponding supplies, regardless of my 'clutter-free' edict. Well, it's not clutter-free but looking very good compared to before.

Anyway I like reading all your posts. Like most people here, I am work in progress. Thanks for listening.

thanks
    Metta

Welcome, Miss Metta. Good luck with your efforts to determine the right amount of stuff in your life. It sounds like your art supplies should be out and available for you to make art, and shouldn't necessarily be considered clutter, at least in my opinion.
    I look forward to future discussions with you on the forum.

Welcome! Thank you so much for introducing yourself and sharing your story. I look forward to hearing more from you!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Welcome Metta! Feel free to jump right into the threads on this forum. Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences and insights.

Yup. The messiness of those art supplies get me every time, too.

The rest of my place is a lovely, uncluttered, minimalist space but my studio...that is the mating of a metals shop with a fabric & yarn shop that fought WW3.
    I move a lot also, and each place is the same. It's how I work. I must see everything, all my options laid out before me.

Always keeping it within a defined space, whether I have a separate room or just a corner has been vital for my sanity.

Your post is very timely in that I have been slowly trying to cull some of the older materials.
    It has been very difficult in that I can think of a hundred different projects to do with each item, but I have to
    realize I will die long before I can get to a tenth of them.

It has helped that I found a "Free Store" at the local university's art building, where I can take the culled items and the art students can pick them up free to use for their own projects. My goal for this month is to take items there one day each week to remove them from my studio. Baby steps.

Welcome to the boards!

Welcome!

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Welcome Miss Metta, a great story and insights! I, too, am an artist, and in the process of building up my metals studio after putting it down fro 25 years. It actually kind of makes me a little anxious that I am collecting tools and stuff for my art, but then I remember that other areas of my life have been de-cluttered quite a bit in order to make room for me to do my art. It really is a process, and I need to think of it artistically as well.

I collected art instruction books and had to cull. That was hard so have a little understanding of your goals.

Welcome Miss Metta. It sounds like having parents who hoard is kind of like having parents who are alcoholics. From your description, you seem to be doing well with your decluttering. I live in a very small cottage, which I find helps. There just isn't room for too much stuff. My closet, (like the house,) was built in the 1940's. Closets were small back in those days. I don't have a storage room.

You've already inspired me to do some more clearing and organizing. I'm sure I have some more items I can donate to charity. Keep up the great work!

Thread Information