Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to get my DD who has chosen be alone on her 30th?

What to get my DD who has chosen be alone on her 30th?

Looking for advice on what 30th birthday gift I can send DD.

I asked her what she's doing for her birthday and was kind of surprised that she has chosen to spend it alone, in a little cabin in another town in VT. My DH thinks that's just plain weird, but he's an extrovert.

I totally understand--I have enjoyed my own poustinia in the past.

I know a few of you have done a similar get-away--FloatOn, didn't you?

To give you an idea of my daughter, DD is an artist (graphic artist). She's not a big reader, but she likes books about spiritual guidance.. she is not a practicing Christian or any other religion, but she has enjoyed books by Alan Cohen, Emerson, Ram Das, etc.

She loves nature and has a tattoo of shamrocks, a moon and a fox (she identifies with foxes). The shamrock and moon are nods to her family, especially the women.

I was thinking of sending her a retreat "care package": Some things I was thinking of were my own copies of Walden, The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron, poetry by Mary Oliver. I was also thinking of sending her a canvas and some oils/acrylics-she's a graphic artist for work, but I don't think she has any oil paints or many good brushes.

Any other suggestions for her birthday retreat care package?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Good chocolate or other indulgences to enjoy, a nice blank journal and pens, a book on yin yoga (and maybe some props), some interesting teas would be things I would like on retreat.

Special "treat" foods she might enjoy on her retreat, perhaps?

Williamsmith
    A set of high quality colored pencils and a stress relieving adult coloring book along with a sketch book and charcoal pencils.

A field guide or possible an identification book for plants and trees.

Antique cast iron cookware.

Great ideas…!

Love the chocolates, treats and teas ideas. Williamsmith, all three ideas are wonderful. I think I'll look into field guides for the area.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

rodeosweetheart
    Coffee and a hand thrown mug.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Looking for advice on what 30th birthday gift I can send DD.

I asked her what she's doing for her birthday and was kind of surprised that she has chosen to spend it alone, in a little cabin in another town in VT. My DH thinks that's just plain weird, but he's an extrovert.

I totally understand--I have enjoyed my own poustinia in the past.

I know a few of you have done a similar get-away--FloatOn, didn't you?

To give you an idea of my daughter, DD is an artist (graphic artist). She's not a big reader, but she likes books about spiritual guidance.. she is not a practicing Christian or any other religion, but she has enjoyed books by Alan Cohen, Emerson, Ram Das, etc.

She loves nature and has a tattoo of shamrocks, a moon and a fox (she identifies with foxes). The shamrock and moon are nods to her family, especially the women.

I was thinking of sending her a retreat "care package": Some things I was thinking of were my own copies of Walden, The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron, poetry by Mary Oliver. I was also thinking of sending her a canvas and some oils/acrylics-she's a graphic artist for work, but I don't think she has any oil paints or many good brushes.

Any other suggestions for her birthday retreat care package?
    I think it is great that you are supporting your loner kid!

I am a loner too. I enjoy a thanksgiving or Xmas at an ethnic restaurant by myself. People frown upon this.

So it is refreshing to know that you support your daughter's choice!

My DD is only a little older and is currently enthralled with coloring books too. I would think a really nice set of prismacolor pencils too.

I spent my thirtieth alone too. I traveled to the Oregon coast, from Astoria down to Cannon Beach and stayed overnight. On the way I won a "guess this artist" contest on a local radio station, had a cocktail overlooking the Columbia, and ate fried clams. It was all quite restorative.

You can get portable watercolors for outdoor use. Here's a set:
    http://www.dickblick.com/products/wi...ravel-bag-set/

I like the care package ideas---pink Himalayan sea salts for bathing, Aromatherapy oil, a tube of non-toxic hand cream would be among my suggestions because they are both luxurious and practical. Your daughter sounds like a creative, self-directed person, good for her!

Thread Information