Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thyroid issues

Shadowmoss, it soon becomes ingrained. The hour wait....maybe I was goofy but when I worked, there was no way I took that pill an hour before I ate and things have been stable for 40 years! In fact, it is only in the last 5 or 6 years that the 1 hour wait has been put on the prescription bottle.

Taking a daily Med becomes a habit like brushing your teeth.

It's easy once it's added to your daily routine.

It's 30 minutes wait for me. At least that's what they told me. At first they said 30 minutes before anything, coffee, anything. And I did it that way for awhile, but I really need my coffee in the morning first thing so i now only wait for food. But i don't put anything in my coffee, no sugar or milk or anything so i figure it's really only flavored water.

You do get used to it. I was never good about taking pills either. (oh the horrors of enjoying a road trip when you suddenly realize you haven't taken a birth control pill in 2 weeks!) What I do is have a glass of water in the bathroom and take it when I first get up. It does become habit.
    My mother used to actually set her alarm to wake up and take it then go back to bed. Yikes! I could never do that!

Shadowmoss I was thinking about you today and wondering how you were doing. I go in for surgery on New Years Eve for a parathyroidectomy. Keeping my fingers crossed for in/out easy peasy. I was told I shouldn't have to take any meds and should start feeling better withing 48-72 hours. Hope so because this last month has really been rough.

best wishes, simplemind. it was easy/peasy for my mom, in for 2 days. She was probably 55 then. The only thing is you cannot supplement with calcium after and she already had osteopenia, she's been on various bone building drugs since, carefully monitored by an endocrinologist. Good luck!

I've only forgotten my pill one day (that I noticed...). I go back in a couple of weeks to check the levels. Hope your surgery goes quickly and easily and takes care of your issues. I notice I seem to be waking up a bit, and also losing a bit of the, uh, baby fat (if a 61yo can have baby fat...) and my clothes are a bit looser. I'm talking a pound or two, nothing dramatic. As far as the doctor is concerned this is all we need to do. The lump/nodule does impact my swallowing a bit, so I may opt for surgery later. He said I'd lost one lobe (half?) of my thyroid if I go that route.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

ironically, I got diagnosed with hypothyroidism during this thread. I remember to take it but some of my other meds cannot be taken an hour later, it has to be 3-4 hrs in between and they are twice a day meds. So the pharmacist said to be safe, take all morning meds 3-4 hrs later. I am not liking that because I do forget these meds taking them on such a weird routine and these meds are way more important. I'm gonna talk to the PhD pharmacist and get better clarification. It's also hard to fit calcium in.

I hope I lose some 18 yr old baby fat, too!

freshstart I was reading that you often do have to take Calcium afterwards. At least until the remaining parathyroid glands wake up from being dormant. Don't know what the surgery will clear up but I have a laundry list of wishes...... like getting my hair back.

oh, I wasn't clear, she had to have the whole thing removed. I hope you get your hair back, too!

I had never even heard of parathyroid before this. My mom had always been on thyroid meds but this is entirely different. I had attributed all other symptoms to Fibromyalgia and never went in to have anything checked. The hair................ man, I had great hair. One of the few great things I had. It has been falling out by the handfuls. I'm of the verge of looking like a muppet.

Thread Information