Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Why are you depriving yourself?"

"Why are you depriving yourself?"

Hey, this topic came up on another thread (thanks oldhat). So I wanted to share it with you all in its own thread.

Anyway, oldhat pointed out that when a news article is written up on someone who is a minimalist or simple living-type that in the comments people usually say things like: "I work too hard to deprive myself of the little pleasures in life!"

I get this question, in many forms, in real life when people find out I live simply, own few things, and that I am a minimalist.

How do you answer these questions?

"Why are you depriving yourself?"

"Do you ever have any fun?"

"Can't you ever just 'live in the moment' and not worry so much about what a spending spree does to (fill in the blank with 'your wallet' or 'earth' or whatever)?"

What does "deprive" mean in this context?

I never "deprive" myself. I do what I want, I buy what I want. It's just that I don't want to buy much stuff, unless I need it for something important. There's no deprivation involved, the stuff-I-didn't-buy isn't reducing my quality of life or happiness in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    What does "deprive" mean in this context?

I never "deprive" myself. I do what I want, I buy what I want. It's just that I don't want to buy much stuff, unless I need it for something important. There's no deprivation involved, the stuff-I-didn't-buy isn't reducing my quality of life or happiness in any way.
    Excellent answer! I am going to steal parts of it for my own usage! haha

I don't deprive myself. Even when I was in a heavier savings mode than I am now, I still did one or two vacations a year, had reliable transportation and a decent home. I just don't spend much money on stuff I don't value, which includes being the first in line for new technology or the latest fashions. I do eat well and drink good wine and good chocolate. I watch the birds, and go on hikes, take an occasional sauna, have a relaxed lifestyle- kind of like being on vacation part of the time. Where's the deprivation?

If i don't want something then I'm not deprived if I don't have it.

People struggle to understand me when I don't want something that they view is essential.

Real examples from my life:

Dining room table and chairs
    More then 2-3 pairs of footwear
    Dresses, heels, dressy clothes
    More than one coat
    My own car (SO and I share one)
    Electric can opener
    Electric mixer
    Furniture that has been in the family for generations

Etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    People struggle to understand me when I don't want something that they view is essential.
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    This!
    Double this!

I'm very much a homebody and don't want to go out and about doing social things most of the time, but there are people who just can't comprehend why I'd rather stay home and read or play video games or *gasp* even study various subjects I'm trying to learn rather than "have fun" (i.e. going out)

I'm sure there are many people who would look upon me with great pity and shock for not having or wanting the 21st century number one life necessity...the smartphone.

Admittedly, I do sometimes deprive myself of short term wants for longer term satisfaction.
    Rebecca

Saddle up my traveling shoes, I'm bound to walk away these blues.

Let me to my list:

Jewelry
    Makeup
    Perfume
    Mani pedi services
    Facials

So many woman think these are necessary and coveted things.

I don't like them, and half of them give me hives cause I'm allergic to so many things.

These things are troublesome for woman cause they are obvious to anyone we see - they are part of our appearance 24/7.

I get tired of do-gooders trying to convince me that they know a brand of makeup that won't make me itch. Plus they don't get it - I don't want to wear make up. I don't like it. And I'm not deprived!

By (dictionary) definition, you need to take something away from, or to stop from having something in order to be deprived of it. Deciding to have or not to have something is what is called a "choice" : the act of choosing, the power or opportunity of choosing.

I'm not deprived not having a professional hair cut - I cut my own hair at home - and I do a better job than many so-called "professionals". And that list, like Tammy's list above, is almost endless. I make choices, I don't deprive myself of anything, just because it's different from choices others make. If my neighbor has a speed boat and a Hummer to pull it out to the lake (all things being equal in the $$$$ department), does that mean because we DON'T own a boat and Hummer we're somehow deprived?

TxZen
    I don't explain. I just live my life my way. A lot of people think we are 1. Poor 2. Just moved in 3. Weird/crazy. After this last round of losing most of our stuff, we had friends over. They keep asking when we are going to get this, this and that. We just tell them "we are not." It's a hard concept for most people. Just live!!!

I get to do yoga EVERYDAY for as long as I want.
    We take trips whenever we want because we can pack up and go!!!
    I spend time with my family EVERYDAY
    I work on rescuing animals and doing photography EVERYDAY
    We eat well and we are blessed EVERYDAY
    I can clean my house in 2 hours, top to bottom and get on with life.
    I cut my own hair too lessisbest. I usually get a good cut 1x a year and then keep up the trims myself. No one notices and complements me on my hair all the time.
    My life is simple and happy...Hardly deprived.

Thread Information