Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Why are you depriving yourself?"

rodeosweetheart
    No one ever asks me about being deprived because we aren't. I guess if we moved in different circles, we might look weird, with our old cars. When we explain to those who ask that my dad gave my husband his 1988 F150 and we keep it going because we figure it keeps him going, the mechanics get a big smile on their face and work really hard to keep the truck on the road.

I can't think of anything we are deprived of, except for affordable medications. So if I want I can get mad about that, but we're still here, surviving, so are doing something right.

We have gorgeous sunrises and sunsets, for example, and we get to walk the dogs down a country road, and I can help my kids buy houses, and we're pretty happy with the way we spend our money.

Sometimes people put it a different way:

"You should treat yourself." "You deserve a nice dinner out." "You guys should really take a good vacation." "You have to try this new xxxxx -- it's totally worth it at only $$/month."

I say, "thanks. That's an idea."

TxZen
    We are looking to build a home...something less than 1000 square feet. A neighbor is also building and she keeps sending me floor plans for houses over 2500 square feet. At this point, I just say Thank you.

I deprive myself because I don't like to exercise and I don't want to be fat. So I give most of the cookies to dh. :-(

I don't deprive myself. I may cut back on things I don't feel are important (like heat) so I can spend freely on things I do (like shoes).

I wouldn't want a huge house because of upkeep, property taxes, etc. But I would want a smallish well-designed house in a good neighborhood.

I'm not into the hair shirt and flagellation lifestyle. I'm not interested in living like a penitent ,though I recognize that others might. My idea of simple living involves a minimum of obligations and entanglements; I don't travel in circles that require a lot of flash and ostentation.

rodeosweetheart
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I don't deprive myself. I may cut back on things I don't feel are important (like heat) so I can spend freely on things I do (like shoes).

I wouldn't want a huge house because of upkeep, property taxes, etc. But I would want a smallish well-designed house in a good neighborhood.

I'm not into the hair shirt and flagellation lifestyle. I'm not interested in living like a penitent ,though I recognize that others might. My idea of simple living involves a minimum of obligations and entanglements; I don't travel in circles that require a lot of flash and ostentation.
    You are so right, Jane, it depends on what you want. I have reading the forums over the past couple of weeks thinking about the posts about permaculture and farms and how that is a "simple" lifestyle. My husband's friend has one such farm, where he offers seminars, permaculture conferences, community gardens, etc. etc. But it's hardly a simple enterprise--it is his family's family farm, which his dad built up as an auctioneer, and he has converted into a 200 acre organic farm. But without all the work and the inheritance of the parents, my husband's friend would not have this resource and would not be able to share it with the community, to build the community in the way he so graciously does.

Thread Information