Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: crunchy food on a low spending friend

I have a stove top popper, it really saved me during my low spending. I like the baked cheesy thing, it fits with what I can do. Think about what you can do with 10-12 hour work days that are unpredictable, so that is a good idea. I may just plan on cookie or cracker baking on weekends since I want to be a LOT more aware of my food budget. I am surprised that I spent so much money in wasteful ways and still packed my lunch daily, sigh

rodeosweetheart
    I find croutons in salads give me that crunchy experience. And you can bake your own bread and make your own croutons, if you don't want to buy them.

You could dry vegetables, like green beans, and add seasonings. I've had vegetable chips, and they're edible...

actually kale chips are pretty tasty, but buying those at the health food store is pricey. I just don't have the energy to do much cooking after my long days. Raw carrots are always leftover at my school from the snack program so I am bringing them home and trying to think of 50 ways to eat carrots before you turn orange!

Zoe Girl - You can make kale chips in a few minutes in a microwave. Are you wanting Q&E recipes using carrots? I've got several that are budget-friendly.

in the microwave sounds great, i didn't svn think of making them - duh - i realize with cooking you make sooo many dirty dishes, so fast but microwave makes few dirty dishes comparatively. however Jane, the dried veggies you mentioned don't sound quite as tasty

yes on the carrots, i still have about a pound left over from snack times. i cannot bear to throw them away, funny that the kids say carrots are their favorite veggie and we have so many left over. i did make stew and put a lot of them in, i can put them in soup and i do eat them raw as well.

I see there are quite a few recipes for veggie chips on Internets. Here's one:

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recip...getable-chips/

They only require sheet pans and parchment, so not much cleanup.

Thread Information