Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yesterday's Elections

Yesterday's Elections

Look's like yesterday's elections went fairly well for the conservative side, both for various offices and ballot initiatives.

More than one article I read referred to the Democrats being "at a disadvantage in non-presidential elections." I assume that's a delicate way of saying low turnout.

Kentucky in particular seems to have surprised a lot of people. I think I heard the Democrats are down to 17 governors offices at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    More than one article I read referred to the Democrats being "at a disadvantage in non-presidential elections." I assume that's a delicate way of saying low turnout.
    According to FiveThirtyEight.com that's actually a feature the Democrats depend upon to help their cause. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...=story-twitter
    It seems that the issues their core constituency cares most about are deliberately included in off-year elections in order to keep the masses from providing input.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I used to vote mostly Democrat. Yesterday I was part of the "no turnout." haha

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    According to FiveThirtyEight.com that's actually a feature the Democrats depend upon to help their cause. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...=story-twitter
    It seems that the issues their core constituency cares most about are deliberately included in off-year elections in order to keep the masses from providing input.
    So issues of particular interest to teachers' unions looking to authorize school bonds or taxi companies trying to regulate Uber out of town would be scheduled for elections with fewer of their voters without that special interest? Wouldn't that only work in heavily Democratic areas? I would think that otherwise the more consistent turnout of the GOP would work to their disadvantage.

I heard Alan's home state voted down legal marijuana. The somewhat automatic assumption in my mind pins that as a liberal cause with conservative opposition in most cases. Is there any truth to that in the Ohio results, Alan?
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

What election? Only thing on the ballot was one community college head. Yea no turn out. Fine make me feel guilty about not researching community college leaders (or rather one of them). If only I did my civic duty it would be top priority or something because it's a very important election ...
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    I heard Alan's home state voted down legal marijuana. The somewhat automatic assumption in my mind pins that as a liberal cause with conservative opposition in most cases. Is there any truth to that in the Ohio results, Alan?
    No, I was fully prepared to vote for legalization, although that wasn't what the issue was about. The real issue was allowing 10 private entities to have a state enforced monopoly on all marijuana sales in the state. That issue by itself spawned another ballot issue to make a change to the state constitution forbidding legislated monopolies. The mostly conservative turnout in an off-year election ensured that the right side of both issues won out.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    So issues of particular interest to teachers' unions looking to authorize school bonds or taxi companies trying to regulate Uber out of town would be scheduled for elections with fewer of their voters without that special interest? Wouldn't that only work in heavily Democratic areas? I would think that otherwise the more consistent turnout of the GOP would work to their disadvantage.
    According to the article:
    Why do Democrats and Democratic-aligned groups prefer off-cycle elections? When school boards and other municipal offices are up for election at odd times, few run-of-the-mill voters show up at the polls, but voters with a particular interest in these elections — like city workers themselves — show up in full force. The low-turnout election allows their policy goals to dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    No, I was fully prepared to vote for legalization, although that wasn't what the issue was about. The real issue was allowing 10 private entities to have a state enforced monopoly on all marijuana sales in the state. That issue by itself spawned another ballot issue to make a change to the state constitution forbidding legislated monopolies. The mostly conservative turnout in an off-year election ensured that the right side of both issues won out.
    I don't think I would ever have known that from the national media. Perhaps there was also more nuance to the Houston Bathroom Brawl or the San Francisco Sanctuary Sheriff Sacking.

This country is endlessly fascinating.

In the most liberal county in my state, I was re-elected yesterday with 99% of the vote. Yay.

Thread Information