Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for GPS

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    If you're not going to use a smartphone, get a Garmin. I have used my smartphone for years (Telenav on my Nokia; Scout on my old iPhone, and Apple Maps on my current iPhone). DW does not want a smartphone, so we got her a Garmin. The user interface just seems to work better than the TomTom we tried for a while.

The better GPSes speak the street names (though occasionally with odd results; apparently the St. Clair street we live near is Street Clair Street ). The even-better ones will tell you which lane you should get into to make the turn. Pretty cool..

Notes of caution on map updates: Some of them just are not cheap -- almost enough to make you want to purchase a new GPS, with its improved interface, for not much more money. And if you buy a used GPS that came with "lifetime maps", make sure the update service is transferrable to you as a new owner/computer user. Otherwise you just get stuck with old maps -- or a need to buy updates.
    Not a smartphone user, and also have considered a GPS (and generally I print off Mapquest directions if I need them). One thing that Steve mentions that I want to expand upon, is you have to be careful about buying refurbished GPS's as well. Several of the deal of the day, websites have had them before, and I have only seen lifetime updates on refurbished, ONCE.
    I did try a Tom Tom once, that was picked up from a garage sale for $5. Streets were out of date (road construction since), but was close enough that I knew exit names at that point. You might also be able to borrow one from someone and see if it works for you. (some people might decide just to go with a smart phone and keep upgrading it in their name for you)

I wondered what Bae meant when he asked me what I planned on using the GPS for. Now I know. It does help navigate when boating, hiking, and traveling by car. We did purchase a Garmin Nuvi 65 LMT that has free lifetime maps & traffic. As others here mentioned, the "voice" tells when to turn and tells the street names. It was on sale for $159 and is our anniversary gift to ourselves. We went for a test run today and I am TOTALLY IMPRESSED. We went to the town we were going to and plugged in restaurants. It came up with a myriad of them. Also told speed limit in the area and the speed we were going, how long until we reached our destination and could check for traffic conditions if desired. I left it in my glove box of the car. There are times when I am not sure how to get to an area so this will always be available. We actually bought it for a trip we are taking later in the year but see where this can be used more often. Thanks all for the replies. It helped with the decision of what unit to buy.

The best thing is when you are staying in a strange area If you need to go somewhere, then get back to the hotel,it's right there. No more trying to remember landmarks and streets. They are NOT good when something is in a shopping center...seems to get you to the outer edge and then you are on your own. I love it, though and balked at getting one. I'm converted now and use it frequently even around home.

One suggestion: if you're parking somewhere at which you feel more comfortable stowing the GPS somewhere unseen, make sure you don't leave its power cord hanging from the lighter. And if you mount it on your windshield with suction cups, the holder's presence (or the outline of now-removed suction cups) could tip off someone that there's something of value in the car.

I probably sound paranoid, but I make it a rule to never leave anything visible in my car when I park in a public place and I've never had to come back to broken glass and missing items.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

One suggestion: if you're parking somewhere at which you feel more comfortable stowing the GPS somewhere unseen, make sure you don't leave its power cord hanging from the lighter. And if you mount it on your windshield with suction cups, the holder's presence (or the outline of now-removed suction cups) could tip off someone that there's something of value in the car.

I probably sound paranoid, but I make it a rule to never leave anything visible in my car when I park in a public place and I've never had to come back to broken glass and missing items.

+1

Now that GPS on the phones is more common, I haven't heard about the break in's that happened when GPS first became popular for vehicles a few years ago. Still, no excuse not to realize there are idiots who think your stuff should be theirs.

I am paranoid also. Everything is stowed in the glove box. I also always lock my car. It is so automatic to lock my car that it is even locked while in the garage.

buy a used 2013 Moto X Android smartphone off eBay. Don't activate it for phone service. Using wifi, get a map app that can be used offline with turn by turn direction, like HERE map. If you need traffic information, you're going to need to sign up for phone service. If you do , get on something prepaid or pay as you go, like Airvoice.

I bought a Garmin that plugs into the cigarette lighter and sits on the dashboard about 8 yrs ago, after I couldn't find the hotel I was booked at in a large city...driving around and around the area for a solid hour. It makes travel so much easier...tells you which lane to get into before the next turn, announces the exact number of feet before the turn, and that is so great in an unfamiliar city. My poor night vision also appreciates the forewarning of turns while driving at night. I wouldn't be without one now

Thread Information