Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling Sad for Upcoming Holidays Family has moved out of State

Hi Everyone it's almost Christmas in the air,I hear Christmas music station already going. This year we are staying home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I dont feel about it at all. It will be a simple one, small fake tree due to the baby already walking. I already bought the turkey in advance of Thanksgiving and Ham way in advance of Christmas. I also have the cranberries too. This would have never happened if I didnt simplify our home. Less stuff to deal with.Now its so much easier to plan things out ahead. My Floridian family members now have new problems and there will be drama for Thanksgiving and most likely Christmas. So this year since our baby started walking we will gladly stay home.Creating a simple tradition will definately help anyone get through the season, and not make it more stressful than it should be.MIL is still crying her eyes out missing our boys, but it was her choice to move.So Im just staying cozy this winter. Im getting old too, I dont even want to leave the house after dark....LOL!

Sylvia, I think it will be a lovely holiday for the kids and you both. Have them make some paper things to decorate with and dont have to be stored from year to year. Do what the family enjoys. Simple can be best.

When I was growing up, our family lived in Alaska. We only left the state twice in my childhood. I just remember all the family traditions that we made ourselves. So just plan on making great memories for your kids.

In around 2000, my sister and her family moved to Florida. Then my uncle and his family moved. My mom also rented a condo for several months, to see if she wanted to live down there. So for the holidays that year, it was just me, spouse and my brother, his wife and his Mom-in-law. It was...strange.

Eventually, they all moved back here. But I understand how you must be feeling. Hang in there...

I agree with trying to make new family traditions, since you have the new baby maybe the teenagers could come up with some fresh ideas. And making Christmas special even though the gathering will be small will make you feel better and that will come across to your family and everyone will be more in the spirit. Maybe play some board or card games? My family loves Apples to Apples for a laugh.

In my family, I see my dad's extended family on Christmas Eve and that is fun. But my brother is unreliable about coming home for Christmas and my kids told me neither of them are Christians and they don't feel comfortable celebrating Christmas. So IDK if I will even see them. It may be just me and my elderly parents and I know in advance that will depress me so I will try to pin my brother and the kids down at Thanksgiving. Even just a short visit from the kids to break up the day. The key will be to schedule things that day if it's just me and my folks because if we all retreat to our own space, I don't think that's good for any of us.

good luck and I hope your day turns out better than expected

Thread Information