Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Starbucks so popular?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why is Starbucks so popular?

This is another one of those things in modern life I just don't get...the drive thru lane at Starbucks. At the two nearest our house, there are normally 6 or 7 cars in line idling away and often blocking traffic just so they can get their over-priced coffee drink to go. It doesn't seem to matter what time of day or day of the week - always a line. What exactly is the appeal there?

Answer: Caffeine and sugar are addictive and Americans love perceived convenience.

well I never go to drive through, but the place, itself is a nice spot to meet.

Yea it's convenient, when I drank coffee I went for a few years, I never had coffee making equipment, I still don't, I just switched to tea where you don't need so much machinery, but just the ability to boil water, to produce some caffeine.

It can be hard to function in this world entirely without caffeine, but of course there are many other alternatives to Starbucks. And yes they are places to meet people. Ok you could argue independent coffee shops are nicer places to meet people and I would agree, but if there aren't any around or something. The utopia where everyone has a nice house to invite people to isn't ever going to happen in actual reality, nor is the weather always nice to meet people outside.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    It can be hard to function in this world entirely without caffeine...
    I muddle through...

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    I muddle through...
    Maybe if you were a coffee achiever you wouldn't be so disengaged at work... 😀

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Maybe if you were a coffee achiever you wouldn't be so disengaged at work...
    that one can cut both ways, ever consumed enough (and coffee is a pretty strong stimulant, so I find it doesn't take much) you can't concentrate at work to save your life ... because brain is bouncing off the walls ... and you just want to go and run outside and can barely sit still ...
    Trees don't grow on money

I am amazed at the Starbucks phenomenon. Example: I go to research in NYC. The facility that hosts the research has a Keurig and every kind of coffee you might want in the room. The client comes in and the first thing they say is "Let's do a Starbuck's run" and then they go around the room getting everyone's orders and they have the facility host go to the closest Starbucks to fetch the coffee. When coffee is sitting right at their fingertips!

I know we don't have Caramel Macchiato's and shots of espresso and vanilla, but come on! It's coffee!

Or, I'm in the airport. There's a kiosk that sells a lot of stuff, including regular coffee, and a Starbucks kiosk. There is a line of 10 people at Starbucks. There is no line at the kiosk that sells non-Starbucks coffee. Would I stand and wait that long for a cup of coffee when I could have one in 3 minutes? No way!

I agree, pinkytoe, I don't get it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I don't get it either. I don't do drive in much of anything. I make coffee in the morning and never drink it out because I'm too cheap to pay for coffee that might not be as good as mine. I drink it black and don't like "stuff" in the coffee. I remember reading many years ago how young people were not coffee drinkers so the coffee makers came up with a way to market coffee that appealed to the soda drinkers. They've succeeded beyond their expectations. I order 10 lb. of fair trade, bird friendly,peruvian French roast ground coffee from PortoRico.com. It is good coffee to me, strong and smooth. You get free shipping over $75, thus the 10 pounds at a time which I freeze. I've tried Deans Beans and didn't find one that I liked as well.

The real question is if Starbucks will someday be like the Starbucks of Idiocracy!

Thread Information