Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Why is Starbucks so popular?

DH worked for about a year in a local coffee shop when he was laid off from his regular job. The owner told him that there is not enough good coffee in the world to supply all the SBucks there are so they use mediocre beans and roast them dark. Adding fat, sugar and flavorings also hides any substandard taste. As a result of working in the coffee store, DH now boils water in a pan and pours it through a ceramic cone filter using freshly ground beans. A lot of work but the flavor is worth the hassle.

I'm a weird one, I guess. I do not like the taste of alcohol, but I love the smell. I do not like the taste of coffee, but I love the smell. So, obviously, I drink neither. I drink hot tea in the winter and iced tea in the summer (and often year-round)-- both de-caffeinated. And it's just "tea" -- nothing exotic or other-flavored.

But, I do like some caffeine now and again, so I get generic no-doze pills (200mg), split them in quarters (50mg) and take one or two quarter-tabs a day (one a.m., one p.m.), as needed. That seems to be enough for me.

But darn -- coffee does smell wonderful. To each his/her own ...

Williamsmith
    What does a group of people talk about at Starbucks that they can't talk about somewhere else? "Hello, my name is Williamsmith and I am a caffeine addict!" "Hello, William."

What does a group of people talk about at Starbucks that they can't talk about somewhere else? "Hello, my name is Williamsmith and I am a caffeine addict!" "Hello, William."
    where else would you suggest? Their studio apartments? All the time? With a platonic friend of a different sex? For a first date? Etc. The bar? Then they need to imbibe much more than caffeine .... get tipsy. Outside having a picnic or on a hiking trail? Yes that's good but very weather dependent. A restaurant? Only if they want to eat and pay for a whole meal which is quite a bit more expensive and more calories than a coffee (well maybe not than some of those fancy things but surely than a simple latte or something).

DH worked for about a year in a local coffee shop when he was laid off from his regular job. The owner told him that there is not enough good coffee in the world to supply all the SBucks there are so they use mediocre beans and roast them dark. Adding fat, sugar and flavorings also hides any substandard taste.
    I don't think everyone cares about whether mediocre beans are used or not, not everyone is a coffee connoisseur (there's an ethical argument for fair trade and shade grown etc. but that's a separate issue). As for adding fat, I don't know what weird stuff SBux may add, but I wouldn't even want to drink the stuff black. Ugh, coffee black, disgusting!!! It needs some half and half or something (which adds fat), to mellow it out to make me want to drink it.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 11-8-15 at 2:56am.
    Trees don't grow on money

I like to get a latte occasionally - I prefer local places, but Starbucks makes an acceptable one. But I never use drive-thru's, I just don't like them.

For coffee in my car I'd much rather bring my own from home.

Starbucks is popular because it is trendy. And a great many people follow the trends--they wear the trendy style or color, eat the trendy foods, drink the trendy coffee, play the trendy games.

While Starbucks has made inroads in New England, Dunkin Donuts is still very popular. And even though it is a big chain now, it started locally, in a suburb of Boston. You can get some heated arguments between DD lovers and Starbucks fans.

But back in the early 80s, before Starbucks hit New England, I can remember walking to work in Boston and seeing hoards of people stopping off at DD for a cup of coffee and a doughnut. So Starbucks is the latest craze, but people have been buying coffee on the way to work for a long time.

I like to get out of the house. I'll go to Starbucks but all I really want is my iced tea or iced coffee IV and my book or writing. Unfortunately, so many diners have closed. My Denny's is all I have left besides Starbucks.

It ain't right.

I love coffee. Generally have 2 cups a day. I can't stand starbucks coffee. Very bitter and burnt tasting. On a lighter note at least they are responsible for a great comedy bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENGUYeiGtNk

Since I don't drink coffee, my perfect bliss food is a scone with jam and clotted cream. The dry blandness of the scone, the sweetness/tartness of the jam is just perfect with the rich creamy fattiness of real clotted or double cream.

Starbucks can't beat that for me.

Personally I like the soulless, godless red (commie/ liberal) cup..but that's just me.

Thread Information