Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving ideas...

Thanksgiving ideas...

Hey, thought I'd ask for some thoughts on this.

Usually on Thanksgiving I go alone to an Indian restaurant and enjoy some turkey tikka masala and/or I have a meal with my sis, BIL, and possibly my mom and dad. I will occasionally have dinner with a friend's family. Anyway, it varies.

This year I am considering a volunteer Thanksgiving -- perhaps serving meals at the Food Bank or something like that.

Anyone else do this? Good experience? Bad experience?

Always a good experience. We have a local program that hosts a Thanksgiving Meal and Free Thrift Shop for homeless and underemployed in our area. They serve over 1000 meals each Thanksgiving Evening.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

My GF was told she had to leave one of her dogs at home when she goes to visit her family in NY for Thanksgiving. She is not happy about this and is considering just staying home.

So I suggested the volunteer things to her, like we could do it together. Waiting to hear back from her...

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    They serve over 1000 meals each Thanksgiving Evening.
    That really is A LOT!

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    That really is A LOT!
    We have a huge amount of people who have minimum wage jobs in tourism industry who get laid off Nov-early March. At those wages they are unable to save up money for the winter months. We have another program that does nightly meals Dec-Feb. We usually help several times with that.
    Last edited by Float On; 11-12-15 at 11:45am.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I've volunteered at Thanksgiving and found it an ok experience.

Everybody volunteers at Thanksgiving and Christmas, like it's their holiday duty or penance.
    Volunteers are needed for every day. Homeless aren't homeless only one or two days per year.

Find an organization that fits with your skills to help and stick with it. All. Year. Long.
    That is where I have found the most satisfaction and saw the most success for those who needed help.

This year I am considering a volunteer Thanksgiving -- perhaps serving meals at the Food Bank or something like that.
    Good idea on Thanksgiving; good idea any day of the year.

In Indy, the Mozel Sanders Foundation serves or delivers 35,000 Thanksgiving dinners. They have plenty of volunteers each year. The city has a whole lot of need for volunteer thruout the year not just the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    35,000 Thanksgiving dinners.
    Mind-boggling amount...

My GF was told she had to leave one of her dogs at home when she goes to visit her family in NY for Thanksgiving. She is not happy about this and is considering just staying home.

So I suggested the volunteer things to her, like we could do it together. Waiting to hear back from her...
    Senses tingling that you might get to type "she not happy about this" again.
    Did you volunteer to watch the dog, or just volunteer her to help?
    What if she wants just some alone time with you?

Thread Information