Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Soy milk.

As a brand new vegan (health reasons) I use only soy milk for all milk-type purposes. I even skipped the little half-and-half (cow's milk) container on the plane the other day for my morning cup of tea. Don't like almond milk (the taste just doesn't appeal) and haven't tried coconut milk. I have drunk soy milk for years though - I prefer it in tea and use it to cook my rolled oats/multigrain cereal. The only thing you have to watch is that it does tend to get kind of chalky near the bottom of the container - shake it very well every time you use it to minimize the chalkiness and it's fine (with the cap ON - yes, I've done it without - no it wasn't pretty).

As an aside, having a Big Weakness for choc chip cookie dough ice-cream, and although I haven't tried coconut milk, I was ecstatic to discover that I can buy a coconut milk cookie dough "ice-cream" from the Whole Foods up the road from here, and it is awesome! Absolutely to die for.

Oh, and the only thing I've found that soy milk does not do well at is custard (as in the English Bird's Eye powder version). It just doesn't taste right at all . . . Other than that, go for it!

Hi Mrs. M., We usually drink Silk Soy Milk and I just love it, I use it for everything from smoothies to cooking. Recently we switched to Almond Milk since it has less carbs in it but still have soy milk around since I love both.

Good for you that you are on the healthy bandwagon -- glad to hear it!

: ) Christine

Mrs-M
    Really nice hearing from you all!

Gina. Could you be so kind as to share your method of making homemade almond milk with me? I'd like to try. (If my memory serves me correctly, Fern, an old SL member laid out the basics on the old forum as to how to make it, but think I can remember)???...

Anyhow I'm encouraged by everyone's posts. I gain a lot of comfort by it. Thanks.

Mrs-M
    I tried a little soy in my coffee this morning but it's too thin. Coffee doesn't agree with me unless I use something thick and creamy. (Evaporated canned milk, whipping cream, half and half). And lots!!! LMAO!

Mrs-M,

Have you tried the soy creamers or just the soy milk? I don't know the nutritional content of the creamer but I'm sure more thick and creamy. I do know they have vanilla and hazelnut flavored creamer if you like that sort of thing.

Mrs-M
    Hi Bke. Didn't know they had soy creamers. Oh boy! I'll be looking for them the next time I'm out shopping. I'm so old-fashioned Bke, I use evaporated canned milk in my coffee/tea.

Reyes
    I have not had cows milk in over 15 years. I started with rice milk, then found that too sweet. My family has been drinking soy milk for close to 15 years now. My younger kids (12 & 15) have only ever had soy milk.

Mrs-M
    Hi Reyes. The only thing I worry about is what Pinkytoe and ApatheticNoMore mentioned about soy being modified. I don't (at all) understand all that scientific stuff.

Thread Information