Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eliminate key ring clutter!

Eliminate key ring clutter!

I don't use keys.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I don't use keys.

LOL! Perfect!

I had something similar I got off of Kickstarter a few years back. Didn't use it as it wouldn't fit the keys I wanted on there (my car key was too long). Nice concept though to keep the jingling to a minimum.

I don't have a keyring clutter problem. My car has a keyless ignition, and I don't carry a house key with me. No gym key, no locker key, no trunk key. I'm keyless, but not for the reason bae is.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My key ring is already very simple: a split ring with 3 keys, apartment, mailbox, and car (Kia, the key folds, so it is very compact).

Several years ago, I put all the keys I have to other people's places on one ring, and the clients' keys on another. Those live in my car, since no one else would know what they go to, and I would never be at any of those places unless I drove.

My boring system for real keys is this:

- I leave the house unlocked. The house has 7-8 outside doors, too many to keep track of. The dogs will eat anyone who enters uninvited, and everything is insured anyways.

- I keep a set of boat keys for the various boats tucked away on each boat, so I don't have to remember them

- Car keys/dongles are unwieldy. I have Too Many Cars/Trucks. I keep each key/dongle by itself, on a piece of colored paracord, and grab the one for the vehicle I want when I'm going out the door

- I keep a small set of lockpicks in my kit, for gate locks and such

- Each piece of fire/rescue apparatus has master keys for almost everyplace of interest, plus of course there is the halligan/axe solution, some specialized forcible entry gear, and det cord.

And so, I basically only ever have the single key/fob for the vehicle I am using in my pocket, and that often ends up clipped to a pack or belt.

We have had a key pad on our house for years so only need a key for the deadbolt. Very few keys on my ring.

I've learned something today. I do not ever want to have so many keys that I need to buy a special doohickey to store them.

The car key folds up into the fob, which I carry separately. The key ring has the house key, the laundry room key (I live in a three-family home and we each have a locking laundry room/storage area in the basement), the locker key for work, and my brother's house key (so I can look after his house when he is on active Reserves). I could leave my brother's key off, but I'm afraid I might misplace it.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I don't have a keyring clutter problem. My car has a keyless ignition, and I don't carry a house key with me. No gym key, no locker key, no trunk key. I'm keyless, but not for the reason bae is.
    Same here. Car keys stay in the cars at home in the garage. Individual keys to house, motorhome, motorcycle, etc., reside in a key box in the garage. Pick the key you need on the way out and go.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information