Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gloria Steinem - Is she a leader or a troublemaker?

Gloria Steinem - Is she a leader or a troublemaker?

Curious to people's reaction to the name Gloria Steinem. Do you know who she is? How has she influenced your life? Is she a leader or a troublemaker?
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Curious to people's reaction to the name Gloria Steinem. Do you know who she is? How has she influenced your life? Is she a leader or a troublemaker?
    I went to the University of Toledo and lived in Toledo for several years. So I know who she is! I heard her give a speech live once. She seems well-meaning though I'd say she is not radical enough for my taste.

Curious to people's reaction to the name Gloria Steinem. Do you know who she is?
    Every woman my age knows who Gloria Steinem is, and I'm sure just about every man does, too. She was a huge part of the Women's Movement, along with Betty Freidan and others.

"A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" is a popular Steinem quote. Her influence cannot be overstated--definitely a leader, and a troublemaker in all the right ways.

In terms of influence on my life, the fact that I have been able to make a very good living, feel independent and secure in myself and have innumerable doors open to me that were closed to my mother says that Gloria Steinem didn't just influence my life, she (and the other compatriots of the Women's Movement) made it what it is.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

What's got you interested in her?

Hi UltraliteAngler,

Gloria shaped my entire philosophy on how to live my life. I am 55 years old so well remember the campaign for women's equality. Gloria stood out and tirelessly spoke in a clear, intelligent voice on choices for women. Despite living in a democracy, I felt early on in life I was restricted to my potential by certain beliefs in our society. The belief that women and men generally marry and have children. Women, in my impression, have always worked, in the home and in support of the family outside the home. She was the first women I heard that made this clear to the general public. That women have always worked, their work tends to be overlooked and devalued, it's a battle to be accepted and recognized by men. Gloria gave me the idea I had a choice in life. But, she always recommended education and self development for a woman. That she understand she is a woman and that is precious. I grew up in a household where I saw repeatedly, my mother support and cater to the needs of an eldest son and youngest son. The dynamics of who was and wasn't important was evident from an early age. I was part of the family, but not valued. She openly expressed love, acceptance and support for her sons and neglected a daughter. This is not unusual behavior in many children. But, Gloria said, wait a minute, you are valued because of you and not your gender.

I did see her speak in 2006 and was amazed at her steady message of women matter, all people matter and we have choices. Society and our culture create a lot of rules seen and unseen based on gender. She, to my personal history, is the first person to challenge that idea. She challenged the status quo. I admire her courage and constant message. She's got a new book on the market so making the rounds on talk shows and radio. At 81, she's still on message and advocating for women as people who matter.

I've had mixed reactions from men and women when I said she was a personal hero of mine. I've had men back up and turn away in mock disgust or distaste. Women do the same. So, she seems to create a reaction, although Gloria seems to keep emotions out of the discussion. I find her amazing and stronger than I could ever be.

So that's my interest. I just wonder do others think.
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

I've had mixed reactions from men and women when I said she was a personal hero of mine. I've had men back up and turn away in mock disgust or distaste. Women do the same.
    Well, this is unfortunate.

I am not as well-versed in Steinem's activism or her writing as I probably ought to be. But I did read about her in college in some Gender Studies classes I took.

Though I'll say I really dig bell hooks and Alice Walker. When I started college my then girlfriend gave me a copy of hooks' Feminism is for Everybody and it was quite the eye-opener.

Revolution From Within is still sitting on my bookcase since it first arrived there in 1993. Maybe I should read it again. The community I grew up in was conservative and wealthy, women didn't work, and I was a little young for the first wave of feminism, she was branded to me as ... "aggressive" - a troublemaker. While I thought of myself as a liberated young woman, it took a decade of being out in the real world for me to be ready for her message.

Side thought: I think she took the world by storm in part because she was so pretty. So much easier to dismiss someone like Betty Friedan, "she's bitter because no men find her attractive", "no wonder she needs an alternative agenda, she could never succeed 'as a woman'". Steinem was hot, she was acceptable (visually, sexually, to men of that era) and she still said to hell with this, I'm not going to adopt the existing paradigm of second class citizen as my own. She could get away with more without losing her entire social viability, and she paved the way for all sorts of women.

I think of Gloria Steinham as a classy woman. She is so pretty, and yes, it's weird that is one of the first things I think of whe hearing her name. But
    I also think of her calm, strong voice. She was always the mainstream figure in the woman's rights field of the 70's.

I had the thought a few a years ago that she needs to change up her look,it's been the same for decades. But I guess it's her "brand" as we now say, and she makes it work.

i was a subscriber to MS Magazine back in the day. Back then if you had told my 25 year old self that I would in the future pay $300 to Phyllis Schlaflyls Eagle Forum to attend an Eagle Forum conference I would have told you no, never, that will never happen. Back in the days of The Equal Rights Amendment debates it was Steinham vs Schlafly at the podium.

hahahahah, it's best just to eliminate the phrase "I will never do that" from one's personal phrase book. I did attend the Eagle Forum's dinner because I wanted to hear Rand
    Paul speak.

I watched something about the women's movement and the failure of the ERA not too long ago with footage of Schlafly. It was interesting, she really had all the freedoms she was perceived to begrudge other women; she personally was powerful, visible, independently wealthy, and working a high profile job. The person who really disturbed me was her wing-woman, who appeared to have no identity beyond "I won at being a housewife and you should compete with me in that arena, who do you think you are to switch competitions and leave me sitting here with my blue ribbon embroidery prize."

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    I watched something about the women's movement and the failure of the ERA not too long ago with footage of Schlafly. It was interesting, she really had all the freedoms she begrudged other women; she personally was powerful, visible, independently wealthy, and working a high profile job. The person who really disturbed me was her wing-woman, who appeared to have no identity beyond "I won at being a housewife and you should compete with me in that arena, who do you think you are to switch competitions and leave me sitting here with my blue ribbon embroidery prize."
    well "begrudging other women" freedoms is not the way I would represent her position, but ok. And you are right, Schlalfy had a law degree and could move in society easily. I can't comment on her henchmen. I did see a fair amount of what I consider to be dunderhead-ness from vendors promoting wares at the Eagle Forum conference, but then the women I met there seems very normal to me to balance that.

The Schlalfys on my side of the river are wealthy and liberal, and they don't always claim their Aunt Phyllis on the other side of the river. Right now they are emboroiled in a legal battle with Aunt Phyllis disputing rights to the Schlalfy names as Trademark.

Thread Information