Thread: Long distance trekking

Long distance trekking

I just took a course on trekking, also known as slackpacking - where you go for a long walking tour but stay in hostels, inns, pubs, etc. rather than camping out.

It's an affordable way to get to know a country, and you get to see places that most tourists (and locals) miss. It is a great way to meet people, or to be alone.

There are no trails of this sort in the U.S. (that I or my teacher are aware of.) There are backpacking trails, like the Pacific Crest, John Muir, Appalachian trails - but not ones that wander through the countryside, offering accommodations every 4-8 miles.

I haven't done this yet, but I really want to. Some of the better-known trails are the Camino de Santiago in northern Spain (there is a movie with Martin Sheen called "The Way" about the Camino.) There is the West Highland Way (and many others) in Scotland, the South West Coast trail in England, which goes all around Cornwall (I'd like to try that one - as well as the Camino.) There is supposed to be an awesome trail in Iceland. The hikes vary from a week to months.

I think it would be a great way to get a better perspective on simple living. As you can generally get water and food along the road (though my teacher said to always carry something to eat) as well as a bed/bath/wifi and often laundry at the end of the day, you can really get minimal. Some people do the hikes barefoot and carry nothing but a water bottle.

I've been giving a lot of thought to what I would bring along. Also thinking, if I can travel for a month or more with so little, why do I need more every day?

I would bring:
    1 pair of zip-off pants/shorts
    1 pair of leggings
    1 long sleeved shirt
    1 short sleeved shirt
    2 pairs of underwear
    2 pairs of thick socks, 2 pairs of light sock liners
    Water bladder (camelback) or water bottles
    1 under-clothing passport/money wallet
    Smart phone
    1 pair hiking boots
    1 pair lightweight sandals
    1 waterproof sun hat
    Toiletries/first aid/meds
    (inclement weather gear if needed - rain pants/coat, packable down jacket)
    Guidebook/map
    Collapsible trekking poles
    Back pack to hold everything (11 liter??)

A general rule in hiking is not to bring anything cotton - it's heavy and takes forever to dry. So most things would be nylon blends - except socks, which would be wool.

I'm psyched to get some trekking poles. I tried some out at a store but haven't made a choice yet (the price range is startling.) They are said to take a lot of stress off your lower body, and allow you to walk further each day. I can sure use that!

Has anyone gone on a long trek? Or used trekking poles? I do a lot of day hikes, and used to backpack quite a bit. I have old bones now, and like the idea of having a 15 pound pack vs 40 pounds!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

I use hiking poles all the time, it really takes a lot of stress off my knees in particular. Also good for fording streams when I'm jumping from rock to rock so I don't fall in. I also want to do this sort of vacation- my goal is to do it in Switzerland- from what I've read/seen in photos, there are numerous well marked paths, often going through/near towns so you don't need to bring all the cooking/sleeping gear.

Good to hear that the hiking poles work for you!
    Switzerland sounds like a great place to trek. My teacher is doing the Tour du Mont Blanc next year, which goes through Switzerland, France, and Italy. A little too steep for me.

The Camino was walked by Jane Christmas in"What the Psychic told the Pilgrim". She related her view of the experience sort of along the Bill Bryson approach - where, when, feelings and challenges.

Already envying you, I love this idea! I like tramping but I don't like carrying even ultralite cookwear, bedding, house and dinner on my back. By all means, borrow these things at the far end!

Cold, Wet. Think hard about the possibilities for those two things when you pack, depending on where you're going. I spent most of three weeks in cold wet weather. Some stuff I loved that really helped me be comfortable:

a truly waterproof jacket. I had a "water repellent" jacket that got soaked and awful twenty minute into a trek even with spray waterproofing added, my big NZ purchase was a really nice waterproof replacement. If you want to go lighter, a plastic poncho will work fine - you can get one that's basically a gigantic plastic bag, cheesy but very light and compact, for about $5. Personally I'd go for the jacket.

I had one thin wool sweater and one thin fleece pullover with me, the wool one was infinitely warmer and ... friendlier. Silly, but my pricy wool gear including a smartwool underlayer are old friends, nylon and polyester are the dreary people I chat with on line at the supermarket.

I'm a fan of sweaters and even underlayers with zippers at the neck. A turtleneck is much warmer than anything, but I find them claustrophobic at times. An alternative is a "buff" - basically a tube of fabric like a dickey. Practical to keep hair back, wear as a hat, as a hood, or as a "turtle" for your neck. I would bring a buff even if traveling in summer. I find them hugely practical, much more than bandanas. They can be oddly expensive, but super easy to make your own if you don't mind a seam.

I lost a fantastic little windproof jacket from Go-Lite that weighed 2.5 ounces and was about the size of a potato when packed, it was the amazing layer that could warm me up, including cold-sensitive eardrums.

I really considered hiking sandals and wool socks for next time. My hiking shoes also got soaked through and it was a blister-making misery that took days to dry out. With the sandal approach, all I'd need to be ok is a pair of dry socks. I haven't tried this but noticed many other people wearing them.

Final, some of these places like Pilgrim's Way have had books written about them, you might get some great pointers on what to expect and how to mitigate the problems. One word: earplugs.

I love the word "slackpacking" and am now filled with -- well, I guess it isn't quite ambition, is it! -- but enthusiasm, anyway, to try it.

Quite a few years ago DH and I hiked for 9 days on one of the long-distance hiking trails in France. There are many, many of them. The one we did was in Haute-Provence, in the area around Avignon. It was spectacular. There are terrific maps available so it's easy to find the path. I'm not so keen to sleep on the ground as I was then, so slackpacking sounds very appealing.

I've thought about doing this, too. Sonia Choquette wrote about her experience on the Camino, so did Shirley MacLaine. I'd love to bring a dog with me. It sound like an exciting adventure. I spent some time in the Swiss Alps when worked in Europe. It was heavenly! I loved mountain biking there...the scenery was amazing!

I do quite a bit of day hiking and have slowed down a little but still do a little multi-day backpacking. For walking on a decent trail or even rocky with a light pack load I actually prefer not to have trekking poles. It's just another thing to have to carry. They are very good for slippery stream crossings, walking through talus slopes, and stabilizing with a heavy over night pack. They are also good if a person has bad knees to use on steep downhills, where you can plant the poles ahead of your stride to take some weight off the knees, but will put extra stresses on the shoulders and elbows. I have a pair of lightweight carbon fiber trekking poles, which can collapse and attach to a pack.

An 11 liter pack size actually seems a little small to me, but you can shop around and see what you think. Some of the day packs have an attached rain cover that folds into the pack, but can be pulled over it in bad weather. It's a very nice feature to keep things dry. Even with the smallest of packs I like a good padded waist belt. It keeps the pack from bouncing around and takes a little weight off the shoulders. Also, some people like lighter weight low topped hiking shoes rather than boots.

You've probably given some thought to your emergency kit, but I'd include a Swiss army knife, matches, maybe a space blanket, moleskin, whistle, compass, lightweight cord, water filter or purification tablets, and maybe some sort of deterrent spray for bears or bizarre people.

A few of my preferences, anyway. It all sounds great.
    Last edited by Rogar; 11-26-15 at 1:13pm.

Thread Information