Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: How to Stick With Minimalism During the Holiday Shopping Season

So I'm curious...is Mr Money Mustache an elitist in the way that is being discussed here?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    So I'm curious...is Mr Money Mustache an elitist in the way that is being discussed here?
    Excellent question!

I thank the heavens my family is not much into holiday gifting I guess. It sounds awful. So does flying, and with more carbon impact.

Who were we talking about again? The middle class or the rich? I don't think those are the same OR that I much like the people in either group . Humanity lived for much of it's existence with very few possessions. Though not in this culture where certain possessions can become necessities for life (like if the way to get income is to have a job, and the way to have a job is to have a cell phone or computer (I simply would have to quit if I gave those up) then ....). For some people (at least pizza delivery people right?) a car is a similar necessity.
    Trees don't grow on money

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    I have a laptop, but no cell/smart phone -- just a homephone. Am I still in the impostor camp? Am I a hypocrite? haha

Digital hoarding is a real problem for some people. I have been strategic about avoiding it, but I just dislike clutter so that has not been a challenge. I am also a luddite, so that helps.
    well, if you are posting on a minimalist website with an iPad or a computer and you call your self a minimalist, that would be like living in a small cottage and keeping a 50,000 square foot warehouse full of stuff and calling yourself a minimalist. You are a fraud. The mind is part of the minimalism, isn't it? Put your computer away for a week and see how that goes for you. You like experiments in minimalism.....how about it? Instead of posting for a month.....play a game of chess with another person via snail mail. That would be minimalistic. Are we really sure what minimalism means?

This discussion is exploding in ten directions!

1. I do think that people can become obsessed with downsizing to the point where it may be as stressful and dysfunctional as hoarding. Fetishistic / consumed by this focus.

2. This is not necessarily elitist, it has nothing to do with elitism, it has to do with a psychological state somewhat like anorexia. If less is better, then even less is better than that, and in fact nothing at all is the ideal ... a sense of shame and unhappiness over having six pairs of socks is no healthier than a sense of shame and unhappiness over having sixty pairs of socks, or six ounces of fat on your body.

3. Promoting the Joys Of Minimalism can be smug or elitist, in one of two ways: when it's being touted as the be-all-end-all of good behavior, and when it's being touted by people who have the money to rent or replace their fancy things as the drop of a hat. It's fine to have lots of money and few possessions, it's not appropriate to say this is a reasonable reality for everyone.

4. IMO MMM is neither minimal or especially frugal Or elitist, he's made a science of how to accumulate money and use it very mindfully to obtain the life he believes in, and he makes no bones of exploring the process involved in getting where he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    well, if you are posting on a minimalist website with an iPad or a computer and you call your self a minimalist, that would be like living in a small cottage and keeping a 50,000 square foot warehouse full of stuff and calling yourself a minimalist. You are a fraud. The mind is part of the minimalism, isn't it? Put your computer away for a week and see how that goes for you. You like experiments in minimalism.....how about it? Instead of posting for a month.....play a game of chess with another person via snail mail. That would be minimalistic. Are we really sure what minimalism means?
    I "unplug" about one day each week, usually on Sundays. Not always though, sometimes I will skip a week and double-up the next week.

I don't own any eBooks. I don't have an MP3 player. I don't have iTunes.

I have a laptop, a lamp, an alarm clock, a car, a little tuner for my ukulele (which I intend to learn as one of my 2016 resolutions), and I think that might be all my electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    This discussion is exploding in ten directions!

1. I do think that people can become obsessed with downsizing to the point where it may be as stressful and dysfunctional as hoarding. Fetishistic / consumed by this focus.

2. This is not necessarily elitist, it has nothing to do with elitism, it has to do with a psychological state somewhat like anorexia. If less is better, then even less is better than that, and in fact nothing at all is the ideal ... that's not healthy.

3. Promoting the Joys Of Minimalism can be smug or elitist, in one of two ways: when it's being touted as the be-all-end-all of good behavior, and when it's being touted by people who have the money to rent or replace their fancy things as the drop of a hat. It's fine to have lots of money and few possessions, it's not appropriate to say everyone else could and should.

4. IMO MMM is neither minimal or especially frugal Or elitist, he's made a science of how to accumulate money and use it very mindfully to obtain the life he believes in, and he makes no bones of exploring the process involved in getting where he is.
    Regarding points 1 and 2: How can someone be consumed by downsizing if they don't have much of anything left but the things they need? I could probably get rid of half the 150 things I have and still be okay. But it would mean I would not do as much fishing, for instance.

Regarding point 3: I think living simply is one of the "be-all-end-alls" of good behavior. I think it has massive social and personal and financial benefits. I don't think that is elitist any more than saying "People should eat a 5 servings of fresh veggies a day!"

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I don't see how MMM has ever claimed to be a minimalist. He's all about living mindfully. If that means owing a fair number of expensive tools to do his carpentry work (which I imagine he does have) that would kick him out of the minimalist club immediately, wouldn't it?

I define minimalism in a very pedestrian way: not a lot of stuff. I define simplicity as not a lot of complication or clutter - stuff, processes, media input, fussiness.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I don't see how MMM has ever claimed to be a minimalist. He's all about living mindfully. If that means owing a fair number of expensive tools to do his carpentry work (which I imagine he does have) that would kick him out of the minimalist club immediately, wouldn't it?
    I don't think that is how minimalism works.

Does my fishing gear kick me out of the club? Rod and reel, tackle box, cooler, canoe, paddles, anchor, PFD, minnow bucket, filet knife, skinning pliers, etc.

Thread Information