Thread: fructose intolerance

fructose intolerance

i can't recall if I ever mentioned this, but I was reading the gluten intolerance thread and I thought I should share. So not diagnosed by any DR I decided to test fructose intolerance after 9-10 months of GI issues. I lost 10 lbs without trying (I did not need to lose weight). The major offendor was soda with high fructose corn syrup, wow. Huge difference in just a week. Then one time after 6 months off of it I tried a small amount of soda and was sick for 1 1/2 days. okay not gonna try that again! I can however be not so picky about foods like ketchup that you use small amounts of.

As I look back I haven;'t liked fruit a lot even though it is supposed to be so important. Grapes are yummy but a large amount will make me sick. I do not like odd fruit things like fruit in rice dishes or salads. I looked up fruits that are lower in fructose and so I can have oranges now and then and bananas. I eat a lot more peppers and tomato for Vitamin C. I did see that fructose intolerance can be linked to all sorts of illness like depression (have had that forever). I am not cured of everything by changing this but I feel MUCH better and like I have some control over my stomach again.

Glad you figured this out for yourself, ZG. I am hypoglycemic (not officially diagnosed, but my mom was severely hypoglycemic when pregnant with me and I learned from an early age what the issues are and how to avoid sugar cycling), so I sympathize. I don't seem to have a particular problem with fruit, but definitely have to avoid sugary stuff. I made an apple yogurt cinnemon cake yesterday and had a small piece in the afternoon and felt horrible afterwards. Had to end my workout with my trainer early because I was feeling so nauseous. I should probably cut out sugars and refined carbs altogether, but can't quite bring myself to do it. Maybe in the spring/summer when my carb cravings are not so intense -- winters are horrible for me in terms of craving that quick energy boost, but it just puts me into a horrible cycle of sugar spikes and crashes so I really need to find a way to deal with it.

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

My daughter who had a long history of undiagnosed (not for lack of trying) GI issues has been trying a fructose reduced diet, and is having positive results.

Thread Information