Thread: Buying foreign currency

Buying foreign currency

Where do you buy your foreign currency when travelling? Currency Exchange at airports, local banks, withdrawal from credit card when in the foreign country, travellers cheques or ?
    I am going to Spain and Portugal soon and was trying to figure out the most wise and cost-effective means of obtaining Euros.Any advice appreciated.

Charles Schwab offers a free checking account with a debit card that refunds all atm fees, no foreign exchange fees either. So we got that and then went to a few ATM machines once we landed to get our cash, first one at the airport itself. Works anywhere in the world and super easy. I can't vouch for whether you get The best exchange rate but it seemed on par with what we saw online. We used a BOA travel rewards visa with no exchange fee for our credit purchases.

We just hit the ATMs.

Like kib mentioned, different banks/credit unions have different fees/no fee options.

Williamsmith
    With what is occurring in the EU, I am much too phobic to consider travel there. I am sure this is unfounded but I hope you have a wonderful trip. I do travelers checks or service from AAA. The other suggestions seem like an efficient solution.

ATM at or near your destination airport. Traveler's checks just aren't accepted too many places anymore, and many of the places that do take them do not give you a very good exchange rate.

Oh, and let your card issuer know you'll be outside the U.S. so they don't flag your use there as if the card were stolen.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Oh, and let your card issuer know you'll be outside the U.S. so they don't flag your use there as if the card were stolen.
    + 1000. This is even useful when traveling within the US.

I agree that ATM's are the way to go. The last 3 times we travelled in the EU we used ATM's for walking around money and credit cards for most purchases. Easy Peasy!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

My bank offered a travel card that gives cash back and other benefits when used outside the U.S. I pay by credit card when possible (and even soda machines take credit cards in Europe.)

For cash, use the bank ATM recommended by your hone bank. Usually they will have an overseas partner that will give you the best rates and not charge for withdrawals.

I checked with my credit union and was told if it has Cirrus on its signage, it will work for withdrawals. Is the Cirrus network that readily available in Europe?

The ATM worked extremely well when I went to Sicily in May. I went to only Bank of Sicily ATMs and never had a problem. I did order some euros from my credit union before I went over. I wanted cash in hand and could order small bills for lunch and other small expenses. The cash came in real handy for the layover in Rome to Sicily. You can get euros right at the airport as well. Not sure of currency exchange rates. I used my good old ATM card for other expenses as well. It had the lowest exchange and service rate. Don't don't dont' go to AAA for any services. Not worth your time.

Just don't forget to tell the bank or credit union when you are going, they have to turn something on for the service. And, tell the credit card company too.
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

Thread Information