Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computers - feeling bullied by the culture

Computers - feeling bullied by the culture

I found myself online this morning wondering if I should replace our MacBook Pro, which is only 5 years old, or order a cheaper Windows laptop. I was originally going to write a post asking people's opinion on the matter, but I'm really just peeved that I'm in this situation.

My daughter made the first cut for the Davis Scholarship to United World College. The next step is a group Skype interview this morning.

The MacBook has some sort of trouble with group video chats. I'm not sure what the trouble is because I never use Skype. Googling it turns up other people that have trouble, but no real solutions except to upgrade to the latest version of Skype, which the MacBook won't run because it is too old to run the newer versions of the Mac OS.

The kids both have Chromebooks, and I think they can now Skype over the web with them, but they cannot do group video either.

I've managed, with a lot of fiddling, to get my son's HP laptop to work with Skype, but it is, in general, an unreliable machine. I hope it works.

I tend to spend money most flagrantly when I get frustrated like this. "Well, maybe it's just time for a new MacBook!" But buying one would wipe out a good portion of our non-retirement savings. I don't like Windows, in general, because I have found it to be riddled with odd problems.

I am the person who loves his typewriter and his rotary phone. I never really wanted to get all that involved with the digital computer and cell phone world in the first place. If I was going to spend $1200 or so, I'd prefer to spend it on backpacking gear or travel, but really, I'd just prefer to save it.

If colleges and so on are going to be relying on the latest technology to conduct interviews with my children as they move into that period of their lives, then I feel I should spend the money, but I don't like culture pushing us in that direction. The ever-expanding technology "needs" is really the only time I feel that money is really tight around here.

rodeosweetheart
    I would definitely push back on THAT expectation from colleges.

When my oldest son was in college, I had a financial aid officer sarcastically asking me why I had not taken out a home equity loan on my house to pay his tuition.

Now THAT would have been great advice. I told him no way was I going to do that.

Don't let college admissions bullies bully you into spending your money on anything.

Do either of your kids have a smartphone and can skype from there? Seems silly to replace your Mac if the only reason is for your daughter's interview. Even if you were to purchase a smartphone outright (ie without a plan which subsidizes the cost), its going to be way way less than $1200.

Other cheaper alternative: ask a friend with a more updated computer if you can go to their house and do the interview there.

This particular round on Skype went well. My son's computer worked, and I think the MacBook may be working again too. (My kids do have smart phones, but you can't do a group video chat on a smart phone, and she was being interviewed by two people).

The first cut was from 350 applicants to 135. If she makes it past this round of the selection process, she will be one of 75 people to go to the U.S. campus of the United World College - which is luckily only about an hour and a half from our house. Out of those 75, they will select 50 for the scholarship. And out of the 50 selected, 25 will be placed on the U.S. campus and 25 will be placed at international campuses. My daughter is hoping for Italy, Germany, or India. It's a real nailbiter. Of course, as her father, I would be happy to have her home for her junior and senior year of high school, but it's the kind of opportunity tailor made to her interests.

New requirements often require new tools - and there's often not a good way to get around it. But it looks like you found one :-)

I'm hoping she prevails--it sounds like a wonderful program!

Paul, I know you didn't post this seeking a fix, but I would offer a couple of alternatives:

- One thing you might want to do is back up all your files (ideally in more than one place), make sure you have your software installers/CDs, wipe the hard disk clean and reinstall from scratch. Over time, most personal computers build up this cruft that's most easily fixed with a clean reinstall. This likely is something you could have one of your kids do or even hire it out to a third-party store that fixes Macs.
    - Another option, if this Skype-ing gets to be regular, would be buying a recent iPad. The first generation does not have cameras, but the later ones do. A brand-new iPad can be purchased for as little as $300; a slightly older one, of course, for less than that. Some of them even still have some AppleCare warranty left on them. Much cheaper than another MBP and, depending on what you do with your computer, maybe not a bad substitute for a lot of work.

ETA:
    I don't really have a fix for the feeling of being bullied by computer culture. Of course, as a Mac user since the mid-80s, I've become used to fighting for accommodation for my preferred operating system because, for many tasks, the OS you use just should not matter. The Internet and more open standards have helped. You've already kept your MacBook far longer than most people keep computers. I would push back on requirements that lock you into buying expensive anything, aiming more in the realm of "gee, I'd like to have this working, but, if it doesn't, what else can we do?".
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

There are issues like that all over. I am trying to work with a retreat committee for the non-profit that supports our nun and can't always get things to work. I have a new work laptop that did finally do Fuze! Yeah, my old work laptop and my personal mac were both not able to do that. We work at this all the time actually so I am not sure that there is a perfect answer, however I did spend student loan money on a new laptop when I went to do my grad work. It was part of the necessary tools, and I saved a lot on books because I downloaded all of them onto the laptop. So I understand, I struggle with these expenses. It is sooo great that your daughter is getting considered for this program!

I also bought my mac book used from a certified dealer, It can't do what I need anymore so I would have to upgrade at this point even if it wasn't falling apart. At least at work they got us all i-phones to keep up at work. I can't imagine doing my job without it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by pcooley View Post
    This particular round on Skype went well. My son's computer worked, and I think the MacBook may be working again too. (My kids do have smart phones, but you can't do a group video chat on a smart phone, and she was being interviewed by two people).

The first cut was from 350 applicants to 135. If she makes it past this round of the selection process, she will be one of 75 people to go to the U.S. campus of the United World College - which is luckily only about an hour and a half from our house. Out of those 75, they will select 50 for the scholarship. And out of the 50 selected, 25 will be placed on the U.S. campus and 25 will be placed at international campuses. My daughter is hoping for Italy, Germany, or India. It's a real nailbiter. Of course, as her father, I would be happy to have her home for her junior and senior year of high school, but it's the kind of opportunity tailor made to her interests.
    Congratulations on her success so far! I hope she gets to keep going. The Duino campus is BEAUTIFUL, but I've gotta put in a plug for Atlantic College -- it's the next best thing to Hogwarts!
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Can she "group" physically your Macbook and her Chromebook and see them one on each at the same time? They may be clueless as to what is or isn't capable, or who knows, they may be looking for those that can't for some kind of scholarship program.
    I know it isn't available under Linux, and I am not buying either computer for it (supporting closed standards is problematic). Don't have a clue if the phones even do it with Skype, as I really only know one person who has needed it.
    I am also somewhat backwards and along with some older friends, still like the joke about the rotary cell phone. But this could be a good learning experience for her, that if she wants this, it is time to save up and buy her own. (and then learn about the tech curve and costs with it)
    Wish her luck and realize her principles are still in flux.

Thread Information